Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 89 escudos manifold starts to glow red hot and idle speed drops to about 600 rpm after driving for a while not sure what this could be was wandering if any one could help me out on whats going on here?

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Usually that's a sign of a blocked cat, if you don't have a cat then check the exhaust is free flowing and check the valve timing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
glowing manifold

how do you go about replacing the catalytic converter ? looks like a sealed unit its been rattling a bit lately to so something's obviously come loose inside

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Where are you located? And do you have emissions testing where you are? Actually, the early Escudos/Vitaras etc., came with a carb and an EFI engine - of course, you buy the catalytic converter (which usually comes with the front pipe connected to it). Of course it is 'sealed' at installation, as otherwise exhaust gases would escape from it. Catalytic converters are very expensive - which is where the older carb engine comes in - there is also a resonator sold for the 1989-1991 engines - half the price. I have been running my 91 with a resonator, rather than a catalytic converter - for years. You will need the cat if you have emissions testing, but may be able to get away with the resonator, as well.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Funny!! If you don't have emissions testing at your location - don't go looking for one!! The point is that, if you did have emissions testing (which would be part of the car inspection test in your car that you might have every year or two) then you would definitely need to replace the cat with another one - expensive. If you don't have this, then the resonator (used on the 1989-1991 carb version of your car) would be fine, and half the price.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Even cheaper, you could also have someone cut the old cat off and weld in a straight pipe or glass pack muffler. (The glass pack will eventually become a resonator as the glass blows out.)

For other readers, this advice applies ONLY If you don't have emissions testing at your location. (Legal disclaimer ;) )

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
You need to determine which engine you have, I'm pretty sure that the 16V and 8V engines have different cats.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but did they make a 16v in 1989? Like to know for future reference. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my local mechanic is going to cut the inside of the catalytic converter out hopefully that will fix the glowing problem he doesn't think it will help the idling problem... when the truck warms up it revs fairly high sometimes up to 2500 rpm eventually it comes down to 900 once it has warmed up(about 5 mins longer than usual) then after driving for a while it idles lower sometimes right down to 400 rpm any ideas what could be causing that?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Even back in 89 the top of the range Escudos had a 16V with a 4-sp auto, many of the JDMs have a much higher spec than export models.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Unsure of in other countries, but a high flow cat around here is under 100$ US.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Everything in the US in cheaper - here, when I went to replace the cat, it was about $500. !!!!! I went with the resonater....
Scud, aside from your cat problem you should advise exactly what your car does from cold start - assuming that you are the 8v, if so, you will have a throttle opener on the rear of the throttle body that is open for only about 5-10 seconds at cold start. Your car will start up at about 2000-2500 rpm, and then you will hear a definite drop of rpm when the throttle opener closes, of about 500 rpm or so. Then the car should slowly drop idle over the next 5 minutes, as it warms up, to a steady 800 rpm idle.
It's a good idea to make sure that your engine is timed properly (compression test will verify that), and ignition timing is correct - as well as having your spark plugs gapped to .07mm and not just used out of the box. Vacuum leaks will cause problems with the idle (causing it to be high) and you can check for leaks by pinching each of the vacuum hoses with a pliers, to see if any of the pinched hoses change the idle - none should, and if they do, you have a leak on that circuit.
Confirm if you have a vacuum hose running from the air pipe connected to the air filter, to a sensor (idle speed controller). Not sure about your engine, and if your ISC is solely electric, or connected to air/coolant.
Another small test - with the car idling, turn on the headlights and heater fan blower on high. Your idle should stay the same and not drop appreciably. What does it do??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it doesn't affect the idle when the heater and lights go on full I am having the inside of the cat removed apparently shouldn't affect timing and tuning, also timing and compression test has been done and radiator cleaned, new temperature sensor,all of the above were done thinking I had blown the head but I think its was a combination of faulty temp sensor and glowing manifold which made us assume head gasket. I had work done and parts replaced and was still left with glowing manifold,cat started to rattle which leads to getting work done on cat converter hopefully that fixes the glowing manifold and possibly the idling issues that have started after all this happening, idled fine prior to all of this happening

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Even back in 89 the top of the range Escudos had a 16V with a 4-sp auto, many of the JDMs have a much higher spec than export models.
I keep forgetting about the Japanese Domestic Market "oddities." Seems they "try out" their ideas on the market closest to them, before marketing the "best" ideas to the rest of the world. With the secondary markets, these JDM models, and these features, can end up 'almost' anywhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts