Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 88 Suzuki samurai. It’s a 1.0 engine and I blew a hole in the block. I found a 1.3. that was running. will my current pcm (main computer) on the 1.0 work with the 1.3? Should the 1.3 just bolt in? What else will I need for this swap.
I have an intake manifold, Exhaust manifold fly wheel, starter, alternator carburetor from the 1.3.

Thank you

Sybil

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
It might be an idea to provide a little more details, especially about where you are and what you're driving - I'm not aware that the Samurai was ever shipped with a 1.0 engine, and similarly, I'm not aware of any 88 SJ410 (which might be considered a Samurai) that had a PCM.

You mention that you have, among other parts, a carburetor from the 1.3, generally speaking carburetted vehicles don't have a PCM, although the US market 1.3 Samurais did have an "electronic feed back" carburetor that did have a very primitive PCM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It might be an idea to provide a little more details, especially about where you are and what you're driving - I'm not aware that the Samurai was ever shipped with a 1.0 engine, and similarly, I'm not aware of any 88 SJ410 (which might be considered a Samurai) that had a PCM.

You mention that you have, among other parts, a carburetor from the 1.3, generally speaking carburetted vehicles don't have a PCM, although the US market 1.3 Samurais did have an "electronic feed back" carburetor that did have a very primitive PCM.
Thank you I have it at a shop and they asked me about the pcm.

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
Syb,

Let me explain how this works - you're the one asking for help - until & unless the folks on this side of the internet understand what it is you need help with, the responses you get may be misleading, confusing or just down right incorrect.

That's the reason I'm asking for the details - and I don't need to see a video about an SJ410 in snow - it doesn't tell me what you have, and it does not prove that there were 1.0 Samurais.

As far as I'm aware ALL the SJ410s regardless of whether they were badged as a Jimny/Samurai/Santana/Caribbean/Sierra/Drover, came with a conventional carburettor with no PCM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Could you let me know what more you need? This way I can go out and look and give you the correct information. Would you like the vin? I'm in California
It was actually manufactured 09/1987: 88 Samari with a 1.0 engine 4X4 5 speed. It only says Suzuki Samurai. I want to convert to the 1.3 engine from the 1.0 and I'm wondering what else is needed for the conversion/swap. The 1.3 engine is used and was running, I have the intake, and exhaust manifolds, carburetor, alternator, and flywheel from the 1.3. Should it just bolt in or will I need anything else for the conversion from a 1.0 to a 1.3.

Thank you again and hopefully, I'm a bit more clear

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
VIN number would certainly help.

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
The VIN would probably be the best place to start - an 87/88 Samurai anywhere in the US, assuming an official import would/should be an SJ413 - which would have had a 1.3 engine, with a Hitachi electronic feedback carb.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The VIN would probably be the best place to start - an 87/88 Samurai anywhere in the US, assuming an official import would/should be an SJ413 - which would have had a 1.3 engine, with a Hitachi electronic feedback carb.
JS4JC51CXJ4218262

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
So the question now is - is what you have in there actually a one liter engine, and if it is, how did it get there & what was done to put it in that needs to be "un-done".

The engine number should be on the block near the bell housing, left or driver's side I think - what are the characters before the dash?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So the question now is - is what you have in there actually a one liter engine, and if it is, how did it get there & what was done to put it in that needs to be "un-done".

The engine number should be on the block near the bell housing, left or driver's side I think - what are the characters before the dash?
Okay, this was my dad's and he is a mechanic who consistently tells me it’s a 1.0 but he could wrong and that’s why I’m trying to figure all this out

Plus Ford, where I had the engine, shipped asked me about pcm. So then I was confused and did not know if it had one

the casting in the engine shows G13A...... Does this mean its a 1.3?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts