Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just inherited an 88 Samurai with 154000 miles on it. While replacing the front brake rotors I noticed some play in the left front wheel bearing. I’ve adjusted or replaced wheel bearings on a number of 2WD cars with no problem but on this 4X4 the hub scares me.

I’m trying to locate a service manual but in the meantime I wonder if anyone could give me a little advice about getting to the wheel bearing nut. Do I have to completely remove the hub locker assembly (is it called a freewheel hub?) or can I just remove the front cap to the hub? If I remove the hub am I going to end up with a pile of rings and springs on the ground or can I pull it free all together?

I guess my basic question is… how hard is it to replace/adjust the front wheel bearings on my 88 Samurai?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am going through the same with a Geo Metro. Wierd setup. ONce you remove the Spindle nut, you will need to remove the hub. The bearings are actually in the arm assembly not the hub. I am trying to figure out how to take the bearings out from in there. The local auto parts store guys are very friendly but are clueless on this one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts