Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
88 Samurai Shfiter lever issues - help

The shifter lever on my 88 Samurai became really loose, I was still able to shift gears but had to "play" with it until it engage. After researching the issue, I believed that the shifter lever Guide screw could be broken. I removed the lever and, indeed, the screw was broken. The problem now is that I never found the broken piece, and I'm afraid it may have fallen inside the transmission when I pulled the lever out?

Any ideas on where to go from here? I though about sticking some kind of long magnet in and hope it sticks to it? Or should I just take it to the shop and let them take the whole thing apart to check?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Vic

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've had three of these broken guide bolts. I've always found the broken piece still in the shift stalk/tower. If yours fell into the transmission case, while removing the lever stalk, it could be a problem. It might end up going between the gears, causing substantial damage. Or, it may fall to the bottom of the case, doing nothing. I'd first look carefully around the outside of the transmission and anywhere else it may have fallen. Next, I'd remove the shift tower, to see if maybe it (the broken piece) landed somewhere in the top area of the transmission and can be retrieved. If you don't find it, I'd next try draining the transmission gear oil, to see if you get lucky and it comes out with the oil. If all else fails, I would probably end up pulling the transmission and disassembling it. Might as well do a rebuild at the same time, since parts are cheap and these are a very easy transmission to rebuild. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
broken shifter bolt

I am rebuilding a 1987 samurai and I pulled the tranny and drained the oil. I heard something hit the oil drain pan and fished out a small SS pin. It is about 14mm long and has a diameter of about 4 mm. Does that sound like the end of shifter bolt that break off? That would be great since I have ordered a tranny rebuild kit and new shifter bolt already. thx - norman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts