Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My 88 Sammy is giving me some grief idling. I'll go ahead and try and explain the issue as concisely as possible along with my failed attempted fixes.

Initial Issue
Problem initially started out with the vehicle stalling after driving then pulling up into my drive, stopping, then pulling up the e brake. Also stalling a few seconds after hitting speed bumps. Vehicle would be flooded and can be started after 10-15 seconds of cranking on it with the throttle 100% open.

New Issue
Sammy is now having a very difficult time idling but only after getting warmed up. Rough idle, very low, dies at a majority of stop lights. Starts right back up with ignition or dropping the clutch (until the next light...)

Feeble Repair Attempts
Replaced plugs
Replaced plug wires
Replaced vacuum lines
Examined air filter (looked good)
Shook every electrical wire possible (could not get it to short)
Sprayed interior, exterior, linkage, and hoses going to carb with carb/choke cleaner
Adjusted both idle screws on carb (seemed to stall a little less after turning fast idle 1 1/2 turns to clockwise

Other Thoughts
If replacing the carburetor (Webber maybe?) is fairly simple and would solve the issue i'd go that route...
I don't wheel it
It's my daily driver
100k miles
good condition
all stock
not worried about passing emission in Missouri

Thanks for the time, any suggestions appreciated!

BRUMSHINE

·
Registered
71 Posts
same idle problem

My sammy does the same thing yours does , it warms up to temp then it dies at stoplights but starts right up like nothing is wrong.I also put new plugs wires, spark plugs ,new fuel filter ,cap ,and rotor and clean the hell out of the carb.I happen to work at a car dealership that sold sammys brandnew back in the 80,s.So before i dug in to the carb the cylinder head got a loose valve slapping around.So iam upgrading the engine parts,10.2 Hypereutectic Flat Top Piston Upgrade,Rv2 Camshaft,new, oil pump,water pump,new rockers,valves,guides,seals,timing belt,,so it will be all new,except the carb and exhaust header so if it still does it . I will replace the carb good luck with yours

·
Registered
181 Posts
This may or may not be your problem (mine is a 970cc with stock carb)
but my FSM says to rebuilt the carb because the needle valve will wear with time and this is the main reason the idle is wacky. Just a thought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hii, im new to this forum.... Again my samurai has exactlyyy the same problems as you are all describing, i desperately need a solution :s has anyone figured this bizarre one out!?

Please let me know

Many thanks, Adam :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had similar probs.

Service the carb. Use a carb kit and replace gaskets etc... the PLUNGER on the carb.must be replaced as I still had problems even after servicing the carb.

Just a note ... I was unable to source a plunger for the carb , I opted to use a TOYOTA plunger instead... It's a little taller so some modifications were done ....

hope this helps..

·
Registered
32 Posts
if you can, get a hold of a vacuum gauge and check vacuum at idle. it should be 17-20 psi and steady if not it might point you in the direction of the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts