Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run out of ideas and crap to change. I do a lot of reading. Usually can find the answer. But im at my wits end. Long story short, my Sammy has been at the camp 20 years, last 3 not ran. Brought it home, cleaned up, new paint, new tons of other things!! I’ll do an intro post.. I have been driving to work and back and around here a good bit. I installed a sound system. That includes a Bose head unit, 2 marina water proof Rockville 8’s, 2 Rockville 6x9’s, 2 Bose tweeters, and a 1200 watt amp. When the bass hits my headlights flash, if night, and the motor skips a beat. I guess it’s a miss. It’s a hard dang miss. At full throttle high rpm’s it doesn’t do it as much but mid and lower. It will about make a nose dive. Things I have done. New alternator, not new but swapped out 3 good batteries, 3.5 compositor, new heavier wires, checked and cleaned off main ground wire, and prayed. Help me!

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
If you're using a stock alternator, it doesn't have the output to feed that system - it's a 45A unit, that 1200W amp, assuming it's actually capable of delivering 1200W, is going to need 100A at full power. You can upgrade the alternator, it's quite common to fit larger GM units, search and you'll find the details, Low Range Off Road will have what you need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're using a stock alternator, it doesn't have the output to feed that system - it's a 45A unit, that 1200W amp, assuming it's actually capable of delivering 1200W, is going to need 100A at full power. You can upgrade the alternator, it's quite common to fit larger GM units, search and you'll find the details, Low Range Off Road will have what you need.
The amp they offer is only 79 amp. Mine is 55 amp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The amp they offer is only 79 amp. Mine is 55 amp.
I couldnt find an alternator swap kit that had an alternator that was rated over 100 amp or it wouldn’t be shipped till late November. So I decided to try something else. So I added a battery out of my boat, a deep cell battery. I connected the positives Together and the negatives to the frame. I also added a couple more grounds to each battery as well. After the boat battery I connected my 3.5 capacitor. Then the amp.. so we got alternator, original battery, 2nd battery, capacitor, amp, speakers. That’s a pain in the ass but for the time being I can bump and ride at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts