Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mu 88 Sammi won't go into to 2h, it wasn't the shift sheet but I replaced it anyway since I had it apart. The move from 4L to 4H is fine but when I move the handle to the left thru neutral to shift into 2H the handle will not move forward into 2H but it does move back about the same distance it used to take to move forward into 2h but no engagement of any kind. Also, if I remember correctly I came straight back to 4H then straight left to engage 2H but now neutral is between 4L and 4H. Make any sense? Anyway any advise appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am interested in seeing the answer, as I am currently having the exact same problem with my 87 Samurai.

Just some background, I just recently purchased this Samurai, and the transfer case would not come out of 4WD during my test drive. They guy I bought it from seem legitimately surprised, as he had said he had recently replaced a transfer case bushing under the shifter that was appently a known problem area and he thought it was shifting just fine. One of the other Samurai's I test drove before I bought this one did the exact same thing.

The guy I bought it from eventually played with it long enough to get it to shift back into 2WD, and I had waited 2 weeks before I dared enough to try to shift it again now that I owned it. All seemed to work great, 4WD HI, then 4WD low, but when I tried to go back to 2WD it would not go and I could only go between 4WD Hi and Low. I tried every combination of moving forward, back, locking and unlocking hubs, trying with engine running and not running, but nothing worked. I came back about 2 hours later and it magically just shifted right into 2WD without any trouble.

Very interested in finding a solution too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda maddening isn't it, lets hope some transfer case guru can come up with a solution.
I'm not done playing with this thing and if a can come up with an answer I'll sure post it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I thought they were lined up but I'll check again, they are supposed to be lined up when shifter is in 4H right? They would just about have to be to move from 4H straight left to 2H shift rod as shown on knob shift pattern.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Is it possible that a small piece of grit or sliver of the rubber type shift sheet (gasket) that saves the shifter from vibrating, found itself in the shift tower ? Once the shift tower is open to the world in situ, it is open to small debris falling in. Don't ask how I kno.
If anything that is not supposed to be in there is, it can interfere with the narrow tolerances of the shift rods. If it is metal and is jammed hard enough you will need to take the T/C out of the Sami and take it apart until u get that jam out. (don't ask)
If u find any thing that looks like the shift sheet, take it out and replace (best) or carry a NEW one in a ziplock bag in the glovebox (better) just re install the old one after cleaning and greasing with lithium(good) or just replace the shifter and wait to see if it happens again (because it will)
Most of us have had to do field repairs, but we have also learned it is a temporary fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys, here's the deal, when I aligned the notches in the shift rods I didn't have the shifter in 4H, when I aligned rods with shifter in 4H all is well and is working perfectly. Thanks for all answers, appreciate the input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is this alignment of the shift forks something that can be done from the interior of the car once the rubber shift boot is removed, or do you have to open up the transfer case itself?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty easy to do, you do it from the inside, take the shifter handle out as though you were replacing the shifter sheet and you will see the notched rods that the shifter handle fits in.
Move both rods forward with the notches aligned (long screwdriver is the key here), that puts the rods in the 4H position with the 2h notch aligned. Reinstall the handle and you're good to go. Mine is now working perfectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
answer is here

theres a pin that holds your shifter in take it out ok after u have the shifter loose to were u can move it up and down pick shifter up 2inches move to 4 low position drop shifter in 4low then go to 2h repeat process

·
Registered
69 Posts
did u try re-aligning the shift forks inside before putting back in the shifter?
i had to do this on the trail once with a long screwdriver. the shift forks have to be lined up right. try this:
Suzuki Samurai - Shifting Your T-Case With A Screwdriver
Thanks for this post, I just had the exact same thing to mine. The shifter sheet is the round piece the twists and locks down the spring under the shifter correct? And what about the comment that the shifter rods should be well oiled? Should I drop a little gear oil in there? Can I use a little grease on the shifter rods? Going to go out and try to line up the shifter rods today after work and see if that fixes mine to, hope to let you know it did later. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shifter sheet is the plastic (some aftermarkets are metal) bushing under the spring. I have no problem putting a dab of grease in each shifter rod slot. If you line the rods up as mentioned in my earlier post it should work great if you don't have other problems.
Good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
the bushing is under that spring that twists in place that holds the shifter in place( it might not even be there like mine was completly worn away.)
Also my transfer case was stuck in N and wouldnt move at all, i pulled the shifter out, re-aligned the forks put the shifter back in. I ordered that missing bushing right when i got home. has worked perfectly ever since that new bushing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
the "shifter sheet" is the bushing i am talking about. the piece that twists and locks is not the shifter sheet. the shifter sheet goes under that

·
Registered
69 Posts
the "shifter sheet" is the bushing i am talking about. the piece that twists and locks is not the shifter sheet. the shifter sheet goes under that
OK, cool, ya the shifter sheet was not even there on mine so I didn't know what you all were talking about at first. No wonder it gets stuck in N when going from 4hi to 4lo or 2w whatever. I just ordered one and sounds like that will do it. Thanks a million.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If anyone could send a couple of photo's of what these shifter sheets look like, or what it actually looks like when you use a screwdriver to align the shift forks, it would be a big help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I put the new shifter sheet in today and waalaa, shifts between 4w hi and lo and 2w perfect now. Thanks for the info guys!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts