Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got an 88 suzuki sami 1300cc and carberated, it runs real good, but the problem is when im driving down the road it will start to what seems like starving for fuel and totally loses power in all gears but if i pull over and shut the engine off for like 5 minutes she will run great afterwards for like another 20k and then shell do it again... This seems to happen almost every day i drive it but not every single day... She seems a little finnikie..... Please any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
264 Posts
Fuel Filter?

Sounds like a plugged fuel filter, or, fuel line.
Some people new to Samurais don't know there is a fuel filter back on the frame, by the fuel tank. On almost every Sammy I've seen, a previous owner has put another fuel filter between the fuel pump and carburetor. The new owner sees that filter, changes it out and figures that's the end of it.
Did you check the frame mounted filter?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i changed the fuel filter on the frame rail and it still does it, it also seems to idle at 3grand 90 percent of the time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Weber mounting adaptor

Check the mounting adaptor plate for the Weber. The hidden bolts that attach the adaptor to the intake manifold have a habit of coming lose and giving you a vacuum leak. That would cause a high idle and other issues.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its not a weber just the old stock carb.. also when it acts up i also get a smell of un burnt gas like it was the mixture screwin up, the it jits out and i pull over ...wait a minute and shes good to go again??????wtf!!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Download the Factory Service Manual. Look in the emissions section. The stock Hitachi carb feedback system is loaded with extras: altitude sensor, air intake temperature compensation sensor and diverter valve, high under hood temperature idle compensation sensor and mixture adjustment control, high rpm deceleration low speed idle circuit cut off solenoid, electric carb mixture control solenoid, idle up vacuum solenoid, 02 sensor, 5th gear EGR switch and valve. All tied to the ECM, under the glove box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts