Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sami transfer case is very noisy in 2 or 4 wheel drive. Just loud bearing noise. Over 35 mph and you had better crank the radio up. I would like a crawler gearset anyway, so I am debating on purchasing a whole crawler transfer case or just the crawler gearset. But I am not for sure if the the bad bearing in my case comes in the gearset kit. Looks like they only come with cage bearings. If I bought the gearset and a complete bearing set, that would probably be about the same price as a transfer case. Is there any certain bearings in the case that are notorious for going out? Any chances that the bearing noise might be coming from one of those cage bearings that comes in the gear kit? I havent removed or dissasembled it yet. Would would you do? Suggestions-comments-hints-tips-past experience??

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
A full bearing set ill include all the bearings, but you need to make sure you get also get a kit that includes the counter shaft. the first gear set replacement I did did not include that shaft, and as I didn't think to check the wear on my original, it failed later with a horrible clunking noise. the gears moved around too much and started to chip off...
Replace the shaft!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
transfer case

so the crawler gear reduction kits come with all bearings that you would replace if you were to overhaul the t case?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
No.
The kits are put together different depending on which vendor you go to. If they want their product to cost less then they don't include the extras. If this is an upgrade on an original (20+ year old) transfer case then you also want to get the rebuild kit to replace all the bearings and seals. Then there is the countershaft kit that replaces the shaft and the needle bearings.
Do it all the first time and you may not have to do it again real soon.

Example:
At Hawk you can find both kits:
SUZUKI SAMURAI TRANSFER CASE BEARING REBUILD KIT
Includes: Gasket and SHIFT SHEET.
and
SUZUKI SAMURAI TRANSFER CASE COUNTER SHAFT KIT

while at Petroworks you can find both kits in one package:
Transfer Case Rebuild Kit
SKU: GRS-8500

Others have these also, You just have to read the contents. This is over and above the cost of a gear set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
transfer case noise

it is hard to pinoint while driving, but the other day I put it on jackstands and in 5th gear, got underneath it.Noise appears to be coming from case. Any better suggestions of diagnosis? Disconnect driveshafts, etc.. By the way,thanks for advice so far. really helpful. It has a spring over homemade lift.. really homemade (u should see the shackles). I bought it that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts