Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...thought I got a great deal on a new-to-me '87 Sammy, until the violent vibration and clunking began to occur...along with the constant whinning noise in all gears. Thought I (and a couple mechanically inclined Sammy owners) had narrowed the source down to tranny bearings. U joints were all in good shape. Well, after pulling tranny, having it rebuilt, replacing clutch and replacing all gear lube, the problem still exists. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
80 Posts
i got the same thing on my 87 also and i think its the transfer case.if u put the clutch in as ur sowing down it still wines,put it in nuetrul and coast still wines.vibrates hard in second gear while accelaratin but not in third and up.im going to have it rebuilt and put solid motor mounts and solid transfer case mounts too.ebay got the solid tranfer mounts for cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Is it possible that after my first desert run, a weight from one of the shafts was thrown? If so, can an out of balance shaft cause so much radial wobble?

·
Registered
80 Posts
i dont know.but either way take it out and rebuild.if you get another used one rebuild it bcuz it seems to be a common problem with them.and if you use your truck for that deff get solid mount for engine and transfer case.lowrangeoffroad.com got a sweet cradle for the case for 225.00 look it up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved

Note to self: never believe a visual only u-joint inspection will suffice! Replaced 3, 1/2-seized u-joints and driveline wobble is history!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts