Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
87' Suzuki JX Troubleshooting help! -Pics Included!!

I have included some pictures for all the Samurai fans! Here is my 87' Suzuki Samurai with 71,000 original miles. I have also searched through the forums, but am looking for a more direct and individual response from a owner. I’m looking for help on replacement parts, reasons, and why these problems have arisen as well as a place that I can be directed too so I can I can fix these problems. This is my first post and am glad to be apart of the community!

Problems:
-The battery will not hold a charge. I recently bought and replaced my original one.

-The fuel gauge and oil temperature gauge stopped working.

-The car will not hold an idle and the throttle has to be pressed ever so lightly or the engine will die.

-Oil is leaking and burning into the engine bay causing very light smoke and odor.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
most likely the power to your gauges is grounded, most likely from a break in the wire insulation. That would also cause a slow drain on your battery when the vehicle is left off. Probably around .5 amps/hour or less. It's not a lot, but enough to drain the battery overnight down to a level where it won't be able to turn over in the morning.

Possible causes for your oil leak... you could have excess crank case pressure from a blocked pcv valve. You could have a leaking gasket on your valve cover and oil from the leak is causing electrical arcing and misfires. Your engine and engine bay looks really clean, If it's leaking oil it must be really close to the exhaust manifold. A comon leak is the gasket around the mating surface of the distributor. Results in a small slow leak down the back of the engine and can drip down onto your exhaust pipe and burn off or run down the bell housing and drip all over the driveway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
most likely the power to your gauges is grounded, most likely from a break in the wire insulation. That would also cause a slow drain on your battery when the vehicle is left off. Probably around .5 amps/hour or less. It's not a lot, but enough to drain the battery overnight down to a level where it won't be able to turn over in the morning.

Possible causes for your oil leak... you could have excess crank case pressure from a blocked pcv valve. You could have a leaking gasket on your valve cover and oil from the leak is causing electrical arcing and misfires. Your engine and engine bay looks really clean, If it's leaking oil it must be really close to the exhaust manifold. A comon leak is the gasket around the mating surface of the distributor. Results in a small slow leak down the back of the engine and can drip down onto your exhaust pipe and burn off or run down the bell housing and drip all over the driveway.
Thanks for the help Baratacus!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts