Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok we installed a weber water choke carb and when the engine is cold I have to crank it til it turns over 30 times to start it?I guess the choke it not set?Also we had to hollow out the thermostat because engine ran too hot.will that affect the choke?as it takes a while to warm up?(totally rebuilt engine block, head,new water pump,new aluminum radiator)it wont start cold even if i give it gas maybe too lean?Any help is appreciated thanks.....:confused:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sounds like the choke is open. .... with the engine cold not running take off the air filter so you can see down the top of the carb opening. give one tap of the gas pedal to set the choke linkage and look inside and see if the choke is almost fully closed or at least half way between open/closed if it's not and is wide open you have a choke problem and an open water thermostat wouldn't affect it when starting a cold engine.... later on maybe but not all the time
Joe

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
Also we had to hollow out the thermostat because engine ran too hot.
This will not affect the operation of the choke from the point of view that it won't prevent the choke from engaging - it will, because the engine takes longer to warm up, cause the choke to take longer to disengage and will come back to haunt you. Running an engine without a working thermostat is not recommended.

You are going to experience increased fuel consumption and increased engine wear - a properly functioning thermostat will not cause the engine to run hot, so it was either defective or not the cause of your problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts