Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 87 Samurai is not running good. I have to keep pumping the gas pedal to get it running like it supposed to. I Took the mechanical pump off, cleaned and re-apply the gasket. Applied light oil on rod(according to Haynes manual book). Also replaced fuel filter as well.

Stupid question: does the 87 samurai have electric pump inside the tank which book said fuel injected vehicles. Engine run idle fine..it's when I start driving, sometime got it going sometime feels like not getting gas to run it.

What's your suggestion to troubleshoot. I hate to drop the gas tank if that thing has electric pump.

·
Registered
264 Posts
No electric pump in the fuel tank, on carbureted Samurai.
Did you change the fuel filter on the rear frame, by the gas tank? I see many Samurai where people have added a filter under the hood, by the carburetor. The next owner sees this filter, changes it and still has a plugged filter problem, not realizing the problem is stemming from the standard filter located on the frame.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel tank

Dropped tank down. No filter nor electric pump. Still having problem get motor running. Sometime it run fine and when motor make it sound like I am running out of gas. I have to stop and pump gas until it idle normal. Next troubleshoot is to replace fuel pump. Found reasonable price from RockAuto.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could be a bad carburetor... but if the diaphragm on your fuel pump is ruptured it may not pump enough under load. Notice any leaks from the tube that points down on the fuel pump? Duct tape a plastic water bottle to it and see if it fills with gas (or oil depending on which side the leak comes from). I have seen them leak oil like a sieve there before, but they can also leak gas.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carb

Installed new Fuel pump..it works then decided to rebuild carb (gaskets, water choke gasket, power valve and float needle). I cranked several times and can't get it running. Gas not going in carb. Sprayed starting fluid and engine does turn over shortly. Am I supposed to prime the gas line?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I had to prime my new pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts