Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just bought my ancient Samurai and want to take off the headrests to get the seat covers off, but can't quite find a way to release them.

They don't have the usual buttons or just pull off. They seem to be factory - and say Suzuki E6 on them - they are the open hole type. On the left hand side (from the back) of each headrest there is a slit at the plastic base of the mounting rod, with a piece of metal in between the plastic. It seems like there is some way to stick in a screwdriver to turn this or something to release the headrest. They don't seem to be able to push in, but perhaps if I know what direction to try to pry I could have better results.

They obviously came off at one point to allow the previous owners to put the headrest through the seat cover holes in the first place.

Sorry for such a minor issue, but it's just an annoyance that these things are so filthy.

Thanks in advance.

SBG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind

I searched and pried and probed and found a small metal wire tab hidden underneath the cover. Problem solved.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Those headrests are removable?!?!?!!

And, Ken, I don't think SBG comes here much.. no posts since those two almost 2 years ago. I'm gonna look at mine this weekend, but if you figger it out please post.

Phil

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just swap in some other seats. I have a stylin' set out of an Acura Integra that are very comfy and lots of bolster and rib support. I'm looking at some out of a Volvo that are heated for winter, not as comfy but damn warm in those -35 celcius days after skidooing all day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks, still no answers. Swapping seats would be nice but need the $s for new clutch, exhaust, hood, ect. In case nobody knows this one of the most exciting things about the Zuk is the hood coming up at 45 mph when not latched all the way. Ken

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks, still no answers. Swapping seats would be nice but need the $s for new clutch, exhaust, hood, ect. In case nobody knows this one of the most exciting things about the Zuk is the hood coming up at 45 mph when not latched all the way. Ken

I'll look this weekend and if I find a way I'll post back next Monday.

"Automatic hood opener" eh? When I first read you wanted the $$ for a new hood I was gonna ask what cool custom hood you wanted to buy!

Ours never gets out of 1st gear lo range so I won't be concerned about it flying open on us.

Phil

·
Registered
94 Posts
I will post pics of my hood after multiple "automatic openings" on the highway (60mph). I now have resorted to the good old heavy duty bungy cord hold down! Remember....function before fashion!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I will post pics of my hood after multiple "automatic openings" on the highway (60mph). I now have resorted to the good old heavy duty bungy cord hold down! Remember....function before fashion!
My hood has a crease that perfectly matches the location of the windshield upper edge. I had assumed that the hood had just been carelessly opened. Now I'm wondering.

Phil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yup, thats it. It was my fault for not putting it all the way down. I had been working on the alternator and forgot when I ran into town. I don't think that crease can be hammered out because of the welds and I doubt if bondo would stay in. Ken

·
Registered
74 Posts
I poked my fingers between the headrest and seat, felt the metal bars, but couldn't find any clips or tabs to make them "release".

Ken... have you found anything yet?

Phil

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey Ken!

You have any luck getting the headrests off of yours?

I've attached two pics: one headrest is attached with two round rods and has a spring lever that you push back to adjust and/or remove the headrest. That one was easy once I finally was able to squeeze my fingers in between the headrest and seat.

The other has one flat wide rod that goes down the middle. I pulled and pulled and was only able to get it to the point shown in the picture. Does anybody know how to get it the rest of the way out? I'm planning on getting some seat covers and this MUST come out.

Phil

·
Registered
74 Posts
Finally got the other headrest out so I'll post for anybody doing searches.

This is for the single flat support bar pictured in the post before this one.

I opened up the bottom of the seat cover and used the braille method, reaching up and feeling the headrest assembly.

There is a groove in the bottom of the flat support. When you pull the headrest up, it comes up until a spring-loaded tab extends into that groove. In theory, pulling harder would pull the headrest out. On mine, it'd never come out because of the angles/edges of the groove and tab.

Reaching up inside the seat again with a small screwdriver (headrest down so the tab is "retracted"), I put the tip of the screwdriver under the spring on the tab, keeping it from moving into that groove when the headrest is pulled up. Then the headrest pulls all of the way out easily.

I'll do some grinding on the groove before I put it back in. Even a little bit of filing plus some grease might help. Anything to remove the square edge of the groove so that the tab will let the groove slide by with a little extra pull.

Phil

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks, mine is a 86 and has the round posts instead of flat. Ken

Yeah, it's very obvious one of the seats isn't original but I didn't have much of an idea which one.

Now I'm thinking it is the drivers seat with the single-flat-bar headrest. No clue what it came out of, or even if it came out of a Samurai at all.

I'll attach a pic and if anybody can shed light on the subject, please do!

I also added a photo of the emblem I just put over the damaged place where it used to say "Suzuki" on the tailgate. AFAIK it is the company in China that manufacures Suzuki vehicles, but I was just looking on eBay for a Suzuki emblem to cover the damaged paint and found this.

Now I'd like to find a couple of "Jimny" emblems for the fenders to replace the worn out "Samurai" emblems.

Kind of a "multi-cultural" vehicle, it is.

Phil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts