Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an '87 Samurai hard top. It had quite a bit of front end noise in 4-w drive with the hubs engaged. I pulled the wheel assemblies and everything looked good and seemed smooth and quiet but the differential had quite a bit of end play and a little grinding when rotating by hand so I pulled it and got another clean, used one to replace it. Now I noticed that the front axles on both sides have maybe 1/8th to 3/16's inch of end play. Could that be where I was getting the rattle from and should I rebuild/replace the wheel knuckles too. The hubs seem good and they work smoothly.
Thanks a lot
garyvd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I got a front differential so far. I got it at Hawk's and they knew what I needed so I trust its the right one. It looks like new.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
so the new diff came with the side gears and you just slid the axle splines in?

Did Hawk tell you whether or not you would need to adjust them at all?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for answering and yes thats the plan. Maybe I'm not being clear, I didn't remove the receiver/axle housing, just the differential and wheel/axle assemblies. I also got new steering knuckle and axle seals. So its ready to reassemble I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to do more to the steering knuckles since they seemed to have quite a bit of end play.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try this for the front knuckle rebuild... I am doing the rear bearings and soon will be doing the front knuckle rebuild as well. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts