Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

For starters I’m a newb to samurais and Suzuki’s in general.
I have an 87 samurai and the back left light assembly wasn’t working so I decided to replace both back taillight assembly’s. I noticed the ground wire was cut for some reason. At this point, I decided to continue to swap out the assembly’s. Once I switched them out I went to turn it on to check them out but it’s completely dead!!! I checked all the fuses on the driver side but nothing.

I’m charging my jumper to try and jump start it but does anybody have any suggestions what i should check?

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
what do you mean completely dead? won't crank? won't start? or lights won't work?

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
Do the lights work?

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
Did you do any electrical work anywhere other than the rear end of the vehicle? The main fusible link may have blown, but, based on what you say you were doing, I see nothing that would/should have caused that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should note that I made a boneheaded mistake and didn’t disconnect the battery terminals 😣. I know what a dummy.

I haven’t done anything electrical to the vehicle (because I hate anything electrical for this reason). The person I bought the vehicle from installed LED headlights, but other than that there hasn’t been anything electrical done to it. With that said, you think it’s the main fusible link?

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
I guess I should/would have to admit that for a lot of the electrical work I do on my vehicles, I don't physically disconnect the battery - as long as the circuit I am working on has no power to it, it's perfectly safe - so unless you were working on the tail light circuit with the battery connected AND the lights switched on, there would/should not have been any issues, and even if you were and you did manage to short a live wire, the various circuits are individually fused, so the tail lights are on one fuse, the turn signals and reverse lights are on another and so on.

The main fusible link supplies power to all the vehicle circuits with the exception of the starter motor which is not fused, the only way to lose all electrical power is to disconnect the battery or blow the main fusible link - this statement assumes that the vehicle wiring has not been modified, once mods have been made, you would have to inspect what was done to know if the work was properly/safely done, so all bets are off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information I really appreciate it.
I ended up draining the battery somehow. I knew I should have tried that sooner but my jumper wasn’t charged yet. Now that I have the vehicle running the back lights don’t work.

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
That could be any number of things - do the front park/side lights and dash lights work? Those are all fed from the same fuse, so if none of them work, start with the fuse - if those work, then focus on the back lights and related wiring - don't forget they will need a ground to work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Again thank you! The front park/side lights work and so do the dash lights. Maybe the ground isn’t tight enough? Anyways I’ll work the back wiring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts