Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone..hope this helps.about two months ago my samurai started to back fire.about a day later a heavy fuel smell developed in the cabin.i checked all vacuum lines,carb nuts that secure it to manifold,timing AND any intake or exhaust problems.found nothing until today. i was back under the hood looking for anything and by chance rocked the carberator while the engine was running.the engine went up in r.p.m.s then back down.so i popped off the carb and turns out the 4 internal screws (see pic),at the bottom,that hold it together were completely loose.so tightened em up and ran her hard and now no smell or backfire.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm gonna have to check this. I have the same exact problem. My backfire happens when slowing down when in gear. If I shift into neutral before braking it doesn't backfire at all. I've also been dealing with a lot of fumes (exhaust, fuel, etc.) and i'm hoping this is the problem. I plan on replacing my stock carb with a toyota carb anyway but in the mean time i've gotta check this out. Are you talking about the bolts that hold the carb onto the engine? or are the screws inside the carb? I can't really see the picture well

·
Registered
193 Posts
How in hell did that happen...those screws are tough to remove
I hope you used tread locker this time...

BrendenV...check you vacuum advance it may have failed...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'll have to check the vacuum advance. Would that cause a heavy fuel/exhaust smell though? It seems like the engine is running either rich or lean. It smokes on start up which seems like valve stem seals and stinks while driving and the exhaust is new so its not leaking. If the vacuum advance were bad there would be a serious loss of power correct? I don't think there's a loss of power because I have bigger tires that make 5th gear pretty useless anyway but I wouldn't know if there was a loss of power.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It could be flooding due to leaky or poorly adjusted float and fuel valve...
Err...what model year we talking about...if its one of the feed back type carbs that's a whole different kettle of fish...a rebuild is possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts