Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vehicle smokes excessively at idle and is apparently burning/using oil....I need to add a quart of oil now and again.
95000 miles.

It runs nice and smooth, not much power, but gets me where I am going.
Starts and restarts ok....no smoking on startup.

The compression has never been checked and from what I can glean from various internet sources, the smoking issue at idle is from worn rings.

I wanted to get a rebuild kit from an internet source, along with a Weber carb conversion kit that would include a manifold adapter and use a non stock air cleaner.
One of these: http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/wk601-34.htm

Smog issues are a non issue, as I live in the hinterlands of Baja Mexico.
Also, I was hoping to gut all the smog stuff and other emissions related junk.
Basically, to back things up to before all the emissions junk was even an issue.
Just an engine and a carb.....like my old 50 Ford coupe.

Will that Weber carb work ok and will I have lean/rich issues which could jeopardize a newly rebuild engine?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The weber is a good basic carb to run if you plan on elimnating The computer engine management. Things that it won't be able to do is to control the combustion chamber temperature using the EGR valve, It won't be able to adjust the mixture on the fly using Air/fuel readings from the O2 sensor, and it won't compensate for altitude (ambient air pressure)

It does a decent job of self metering, and if it's jetted properly and the mixture is set for the altitude your at, It should be pretty consistant as long as you stay at that altitude.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did the weber 32/36 electric choke and it is a night and day difference. no sputtering going up hills, smooth starting, running, etc... The best part of the conversion is the fact that you only retain one vaccum line and one wire going to the choke. everything else is eliminated by capping off. Just takes a bit to get everything adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
What kind of HP increase are you looking at with the upgraded card, assuming all things equal and your engine is stock and still in good shape

1 - 6 of 6 Posts