Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 87 sammy stopped firing the coil is firing but nothing out of the Distributor
the coil is getting hot so i think it might b the coil but i got it to start a couple times then i was putting it back together and it just died checked the hot goin in the module they have fire does neone know what it could be

·
Super Moderator
12,166 Posts
If you have spark from the coil, but not from the distibutor the problem is going to be one of three things - leads, cap or rotor.

The coil produces the spark, it goes via a lead to the distributor cap, down the center tower to the rotor and then via the rotor to which ever plug tower the rotor switches it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sammy

i changed rotor button and cap and i have fire comin out of the coil wire so i dont whats wrong with it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sammy

also changed the coil 2day and still the same thing should the coil spark fire or just read amps there is no spark just amps

·
Super Moderator
12,166 Posts
The purpose of the coil is to generate a spark, which is then "distributed" to the appropriate sparkplug to ignite the fuel/air mixture

In your first post you say there is fire from the coil but not the distributor, in your second post you again say you have fire from the coil, and in the third you don't - sounds like you're going backwards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sammy

i checked it with a light tester it has juice but i checked it lastnight in the dark there is no spark coming from it not sure whats the problem is

·
Super Moderator
12,166 Posts
I'm beginning to think you need to seek assistance - from someone who knows how to use the test equipment he (or you) has (have).

Checking an ignition coil for spark is as simple as disconnecting the high tension lead from the distributor, holding it an eighth of an inch from the block and cranking the engine - either it sparks or it doesn't.

You said you had "fire" from the coil - where was this "fire"?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts