Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm new here!! I have a question about my newly aquired '87 samurai. Some of the front wheel stud are broken off and/or stripped out. How involved of a job is it to get the bad studs out and replace them with new ones? Do you have to take the hub off or will the studs come out through the back with just the wheel removed?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any help here, please??? I just don't want to break off the rusted lugs and be stuck with having to take the axles apart just to replace the old lugs. How hard is it to remove the hubs? Thanks in advance!!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
on the back you have drum brakes with the wheel studs mounted on the drum. The drum comes off with just the 4 exposed nuts on the center hub and you can pull the studs out of the drum pretty easily.

On the front you have disks and a locking hub, so you will need to remove the Rotor to get to the wheel studs. On the up side, the front rotor is realy easy to take off. On the down side, you may have more rusted bolts on the wheel so be carefull and use some kind of anti seiz on it over night so that you don't snap more hardware.

edited for accuracy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!! So if I've got this right.......... I can break off the remainiing lugs and remove the wheel. Then, soak down the bolts that hold the locking hub on overnight. When I remove the bolts that hold the locking hub on, the hub will be able to be removed (no disassembly besides removing the bolts?) and I will be able to get to the studs and replace them with new hardware?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
sorry my bad... I said hub, but I meant rotor, not the locking hub mechanism. The rotor is what the lugs are mounted to. Use the anti seize on the lugs so you don't break any more off... if you don't care about snapping them then just go for it. Once the wheel is off, you remove the brake caliper from the rotor (I almost called it a hub again) There are two threaded holes in the rotor that you run a couple 8mm bolts into. Those are for pulling the rotor off of the hub assembly. That should do it, the lug bolts are mounted on the rotor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts