Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i need to replace my front glass and they want 200 + to do it,nope i have the glass removed now so what is needed to replace and how just the rubber boot and glass....and would lexan polycarbonate be better...or does it scratch easy thanks.:huh:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I was thinking about doing lexan, but from what I've read, the static on the windshield tends to collect dust like a magnet. I also read that Running your wipers on a poly carbonate/lexan windshield can scuff it pretty badly. If you use an anti scratching agent it will help prevent scratching and scuffing but that gets expensive.

This is all just research on the web though. I don't know anyone with a plastic windshield and I don't have one myself to verify any of this. If anyone out there has first hand esperiences I would like to hear oppinions.

Oh and I also read in a previous thread that you just cut the windshield out of auto glass and jump up and down on it to pop it into the frame... I don't recommend doing that ;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'll probably go with this shield next time;
Roadless Gear PolyShield: Roadless Gear For Suzuki

From what I understand, this particular windshield is almost as scratch resistant as glass, and much more scratch resistant than normal palstic windshields.

After watching a professional break a glass windshield trying to put it in my Samurai, I don't think I'd try it myself. I'd try it with the plastic one though.

Basically, a rope is placed inside the groove and pulled in to cause the lip of the seal to come in, but there seems to be an art to it... My windshield guy tried it like 4 or 5 times and then broke the windshield pulling too hard on it with a suction cup. He got the second one in on the 3rd try. I'd of been sick if it had been on my nickle...

My glass windshield is already pitted from road debris with only 10,000 miles. I figure I'll be replacing it again in a year. I guess it is the angle of the windshield that causes the pitting, because I've never had a windshield pit this fast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys and yea texas tintop mine is a 87 teal tintop too but i sprayed it with black liner and desert camo cause i hate teal myself...and i bought mine in texas but its from new mexico so almost no rust...your project looks interesting i will definitely keep posted on it and i will also try to load picts one day if i can figure it out thanks.:cool:

·
Registered
643 Posts
My glass windshield is already pitted from road debris with only 10,000 miles. I figure I'll be replacing it again in a year. I guess it is the angle of the windshield that causes the pitting, because I've never had a windshield pit this fast.
I have a Suzuki SX4 Sport and the windshield is pitted and its almost two years old. I had windshield replaced on my car when it was only a month old because of a crack from a rock. I dont think I ever put a windshield in my 87 Samurai when I had it but it was pitted. I had a few windshields put in my 94 Swift GT when I had that. I think the windshields are thin and cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts