Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 87 samurai with the 1.3 in it, died on me and not getting any spark. Changed out the coil, distributor and the computer and still no spark. Checked the ground on the distributor and the coil, good. Have power goin to it also. If you have any suggestions it would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
Is the cam turning when you crank the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on the Samurai but after everything you have changed, I would check/test all of the components of the distributor. The gap between the signal rotor and generator, 0.2 - 0.4 mm. The generator ohm resistance should be 130 - 190. Testing the ignitor as described in the service manual. These are parts inside the distributor. I only know this information because I have been reading the book as a recent owner of a '87 that was gifted to me.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on the Samurai but after everything you have changed, I would check/test all of the components of the distributor. The gap between the signal rotor and generator, 0.2 - 0.4 mm. The generator ohm resistance should be 130 - 190. Testing the ignitor as described in the service manual. These are parts inside the distributor. I only know this information because I have been reading the book as a recent owner of a '87 that was gifted to me.
if you notice, this thread is 8 years old, and none of the original posters have been seen in a long time. In fact apart from the last poster before you and Fordem, the most recent visit has been 2017.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
If you had read the thread, you would have noticed that the distributor had been replaced, so, at least in theory that would have removed it as a suspect ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you had read the thread, you would have noticed that the distributor had been replaced, so, at least in theory that would have removed it as a suspect ...
I did read the thread. Why assume I did not? In my opinion, replacing the distributor doesn't mean the adjustments were correct. Just trying to offer help.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
So you would like to think he has TWO defective or incorrectly adjusted distributors...

Whilst we don't and will probably never know the original cause, the general concept behind swapping parts to troubleshoot, is that you swap a known good part in place of the suspected defective one, thereby proving it defective.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are suggesting that no one has ever replaced a part with a defective part and that the second part was indeed a known good part. OP only stated the parts were changed. Have a great day and thanks for your input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the timing belt is good and the distributor is turning and still no spark
Jvpilot, you appear to have knowledge regarding this original post or you are experiencing the same problem. I recently started back working on my Samurai and after changing out the installed Screaming Eagle carb "upgrade" to a Toyota 3K carb, the engine was still running a little rough. I had a weak spark and checked my internal distributor parts per the manual and the air gap was too much. Adjusting the gap helped give a better blue spark. Although the coil's ohm readings are within range I am planning on buying a new coil and probably a new distributor soon after. Good luck finding the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts