Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a first time poster here on this forum and am hoping to get some ideas on what I can do to fix the high idle problem i've been having.

Some history:
I just bought my first 1986 Suzuki Samurai about 2 weeks ago. When I got it it didn't run because the carburetor had been taken off. The guy said it needed to be rebuilt because every time he would start it up the idle would go way up to redline, with the only way to get it to come down was to shut the engine off.

When I got the truck home I decided to just put the carb on and see what would happen. To my surprise it started right up and runs like a champ!

What's happening now:
Ever since i've gotten it running it will idle fine when cold (around 1000 RPM) but when it gets warm the idle slowly climbs to around 2200 RPM's. I have tried to change the the idle screw but it doesn't seem to change anything. I was also thinking it might be some type of vacuum problem but i've checked most of my lines and they seem to be in decent shape. I even tried spraying some carb cleaner around the carb and manifold while it was running (I heard that if there's a vacuum leak it will idle up) but noting happened.

Any feedback would be great. I don't know what else to try. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!
-Corey

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check the basics, timing, mixture, idle settings, choke, vacuum leaks, etc. I'd replace the factory carb with a Weber. I purchased my 88 samurai and there were all sorts of misrouted and leaking vacuum hoses, timing, carburetor settings, etc. I replaced the factory carb with a Weber, corrected vacuum leaks, etc. It runs like a champ, now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re:

Great, I will keep trying the basics. As for getting a weber carb, do you know if it will pass smog with an aftermarket carb like that on it?

Thanks,
-Corey

·
Registered
71 Posts
the first check would be to make sure the carb butterfly and linkge is not binding. the next place i would look is hose routing. there are two vacuum diaphrams on carb which raise idle speed, if your previous owner had miss routed the vacuum lines it is possible the supply vacuum hose for the egr is attached to a idle up diaphram. this vacuum supply hose is controled by a thermostatic switch. as the vehicle warns up the switch open allowing vacuum to flow, this would give the symptom you discribe.
if the routing is correct I would still look closely at those two diaphrams. to check, have the engine running at warmed up extra high idle speed and remove the vacuum line from diaphrams, if the idle drops there is there we need to look.
do these checks and let us know what you find, there are more checks we can try to pinpoint the problem.
Squid

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re:

Thank you so much for your responses to my post! I ended up checking all my vacuum lines, there were a couple lines that were routed to the wrong place but unfortunately it didn't change my high idle problem. When I was able to get my hands on a timing light I found that my timing was way too advanced! I retarded the timing and voila! My idle screw works again and with a little time adjusting the mixture and idle I was able to get it to idle around 800 rpm when warm.

Thank you again for your help!
-Corey

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys. I don't mean to revive an old thread but I am experiencing the same symptoms with my samu, and a bit more.

Everything runs well when the aircon is off. With the aircon on, the samu sometimes dies out on take off. Then sometimes when the take off is OK, it chokes on fuel while still in first gear (before I could shift to 2nd gear). If I am successful shifting up to 3rd or 4th gear, I still feel the BOG but with less jerk as I'm already in high gear.

Then if I assist the engine too much on take off, the idling gets stuck at 1500-2000rpm and emits white smoke.

If these probs aren't present, idling is perfect, no vehicle shake, and idle is spot on at 800.

- I've already replaced all the vacuum hoses
- new spark plugs and tune up
- change oil
- timing is normal

All the symptoms happen most of the time when the aircon is on.

May I have your inputs on what else could be done? Weber carbs aren't accessible at our place and I believe all idle up options are not provided by the 32/36 weber if I wanted to retain the aircon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts