Suzuki Forums banner

86 Samurai Oil leak

5K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Merc1 
#1 ·
Have an 86 with an oil leak that looks like it is coming from camshaft cover near the oil filler cap. Is it common for the spout that holds the cap to leak? The oil is pooling just underneath the cap and I am going to replace the cap as a start but didn't know if the spout can fail as well.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
No, not common for the spout to leak unless someones used it as a handle to remove a stuck rocker cover. Check the PCV valve as well, this "leak" (if its from the cap) can be an indication that the crankcase is "pressurising" and oil vapor collects at the cap and seeps out around the cap seal.

Have you confirmed it is the cap thats leaking? or is it coming from the seal on the rocker cover bolt? they do go hard and crusty and leak as well and make a big mess. If its pooling by the filler neck but the neck is dry under the cap, it will be the cover bolt seal usually.

#3 ·
I have not 100% verified it is coming from the cap but checked the bolts on the cover and they are tight. Also checked the seals on these bolts and all are intact from what I can tell. Thanks for the info on the valve, I will check that as well. In regards to the leak, when wiped and then drive the vehicle for a little bit the oil always pools next to the cap. With the vehicle sitting and not running leads to no additional leak or pooling of oil.

#4 ·
can still be a hard rubber sealing washer on the cover. Just because the bolts tight doesn't mean its sealing.
To prove if its the cap, put a plastic bag over the cap and tie it onto the tube with a strong rubber band. If it fills with oil the caps leaking.
Next option if its not the cap is clean it thoroughly, wipe with a rag and some WD40 or similar, apply talcum powder to the tube and cover so its got a light coating, drive and see what gets wet.

#6 ·
Replaced the PCV and checked hoses back to the air cleaner for blockage. All checks out. More information about the problem, I have noticed if I run the engine with the oil cap off it is pumping air out like an air compressor. It is a significant amount of air, assuming that is back to your comment about pressurizing the engine

#7 ·
there will be a fair amount of air being moved out the filler due to internal movement of components, as revs rise, the air volume being expelled tends to reduce as the pressure waves inside the block tend to cancel out.

If the PCV and hoses are clean, then I doubt blowby is the issue as there would be oil everywhere. Bag over the cap and see what it does.

#8 ·
Bag over cap resulted in no oil caught in. So for that being the source I would assume that is put to bed. The oil drip is pooling under the transmission in the attached picture. There are two locations where it gathers and then falls. Would this be caused by the seal between the transmission and engine?

Attachments

#9 ·
is this the same leak you referred to in your first post? or another one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.