Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the PO told me the rear seal was leaking and needed replaced. So the tranny has to come out right ? When I drained it before dropping it, there was the nastyest black, bubbly, thick goop that came pouring out of the drain hole. Upon futher inspection, it looked as if a lil water may have got into the tranny. (I think PO liked mudding) so we called a tranny shop, and asked if we could bring it in to get flushed out. The owner said it would not be a good idea to flush it out due to the age, and it prob would mess it up if we cleaned it out real good.
So, my question is, what can I put inside this thing to get it at least half way clean and back on the sammy with out worring about it shittin the bed in a thousand miles ? The manual says to use 75 weight gear oil. I was wondering if I could put some lighter weight motor oil in it and run it a hunderd miles or so then drain it out and put the right oil in it.
P.S. the rear seal was dry as a bone. it was the oilpan that was leaking. oh and the front seal also, but that will get changed next payday/ open weekend (if I don't decide to go fishing instead!)

thanks guys for any help !

Basnbud

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
Are we talking about a manual transmission or an automatic transmission - mmm - 75 weight oil, I'd guess a manual transmission.

I'd fill it to the full line with diesel fuel and then, with the car on stands, let it idle in gear for a bit (so that every thing revolves and passes through the diesel, and then drain and refill with some cheap 75W oil, and repeat the idle and then drain & refill with a good quality 75W90 oil.

I'm no transmission expert - but that's what I would do - if it were my transmission.

I've pulled apart a few transmissions and put them back together, and back when I worked with NCR corp, I would take a transmission into to the shop and put it in the booth and pressure wash the entire thing with varasol - get rid of all the mud, grease & grime and it would come out sparkling clean - I would then change any bearings or seals that needed changing - or just drop it back in and fill it with oil and drive.

Never had one fail afterwards.

I'd say if you have a transmission full of muck fail a few hundred miles after you clean it out, the failure was "pending" and would have happened even if you left it alone - you'd probably extend the life by cleaning it and replacing the oil.

One last thing - nothing I've said above should be considered as applicable if the transmission is an automatic - manual transmissions are essentially a bunch of gears & bearings, along with shifter forks and stuff - automatics have the gears & bearings and also valve bodies with valves and passages that can be clogged if you free up muck and then it gets in the wrong place.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks fordem, yeah it a manual, sorry for not stating. I'll throw it back in and try your method. i'll let ya know how it goes. first i have to wait on the shifter bushing to come in and get that back in.

basnbud

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep. cleaned it out good. got some gear oil in now, gonna run it a lil bit then put some redline in it. thanks fordem

basnbud

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
You're welcome - don't forget to give us an update after you put a few thousand miles on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts