Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a safe freeway cruising RPM for an 1.6 Liter 8v engine. I just got a lifted Sammy (currently has A blown motor) with the currant gearing /tire combo it will run at 4000 rpms going down the freeway is this to high? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's a bit high. But the engine should handle it.
You might think about larger tires or a re gear.
That is of course, if you intend to DD you're Zuke on the freeway.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I would aim for around 3000 to 3500 RPM for highway use. If its an off-road toy then I'd leave the gearing on the low side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its lifted 33" tires and 5.12 gears and a 4.16 transfer case. It will see some trips in the 3-4 hour range (1-2 times a month) to get to where we camp and wheel. The last owner threw a rod going down the freeway, But I have know idea what condition the engine was in. Basically I don't want to put a rebuilt engine in it and grenade the new engine. Think It will be OK in these conditions?

thank you for the responses so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Frank1669.
I've got a tin top, I put a safari rack on and adding lights and was wondering about a good place to bring that wiring back into the cab? Up here it rains a lot and looking for some in-put.
Thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am pretty new to Suzuki's, but I have built several off road rigs. hopefully someone will chime in with a better answer for you but if not here goes.
Do you have the mounts that come down the windshield frame like the calamini rack? or does it just clamp to the rain gutter?
If you have the "arm' that come down the windshield frame run the wires inside the tubes and into the fender or cowl. don't forget the grommets.
If you don't there aren't any good permanent fixes. you can drill trough the roof but you wind up having to replace grommets every couple of years.
what I did on my last Cherokee was run the wires to the rear hatch/door. I used a weather proof plug and left the pigtail inside the vehicle and hooked them up when I was off-roading at night. not the perfect solution either ( you run the risk of crushing or breaking the wires, but it was the best solution for me because I removed the rack from time to time.
another solution is to bent a piece of conduit to run along side the windshield frame, and run your wires through that. the truck I did that on wasn't really all that nice of a rig, so krylon paint looked good enough, but if its a real nice Sammy it could get expensive to have it painted.
another solution is to get the mounts that bolt to the lower windshield corners it will have less wind drag and shorter wires to the light, but that may not be the look your going for. I know its a long winded reply but I hope it helps some.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts