Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't think of a better greeting from Las Vegas -- other than something that had to do with bailbonds and *that* wouldn't make a very nice first impression, would it? :)

So, hi all! I'm VickLynn and I've got a 91 Sidekick JX. It is aqua-blue, 4 w/d, convertible, stick, 94k miles. I'm the 2nd owner and I love the car.

No a/c tho -- a/c not really needed before I came here. Am considering put a/c in now (90 degrees here today -- which is "cool" for a desert in April). Any suggestions as to cost or if it would mess up my engine? I don't wanna ruin my great little engine!

Anyway, Suzukis ROCK! and a big fat "HEY Y'ALL!" <--add your own southern accent

·
Super Moderator
4,466 Posts
welcome. Its not an easy conversion. The radiator, fan, all the associated ac equipment including brackets have to be located and installed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Vickylynn you might take it to an air-conditioning repair place and get a quote to add air. Get the parts list from them and see if you can find all the related parts ( junkyard or e-bay), collect the parts and go from there...

Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding! And pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Um...no idea what I'm doing (when it comes to this forum -- or anything else, it seems!) so bear with me.

As for the a/c, yeah, I didn't think it'd be easy ... but I'd HOPED. lol

Ed-of-many-suzukis (and other cars! jeez, you've got alot of 'em, doncha!), do you have a guestimate of the cost to install air? Am I looking at hundreds ... or *thousands* of $$$ ? Also, whatchoo do with all dem cars, Ed? (lol)

·
Super Moderator
13,716 Posts
My temptation, when I first saw the post, was to say sell this car & buy one with a/c, but I knew that's not what you wanted to hear and I recognized that in your neck of the woods you could probably take it to an auto air place and have them fit an aftermarket system.

Personally I don't think the average owner is going to save much by hunting down used parts - not unless they're lucky enough to find a car from which they can remove the entire system, and I also don't see an auto air place handing you an itemized list of parts, I could be wrong, but I certainly wouldn't.

What the question comes down to is really this - do you have the mechanical skills to tackle this yourself (with maybe the exception of the evacuation & refilling of the refrigerant)? If the answer is no, go get a quote and make your decision based on that - if the answer is yes, that's when you start hunting, and bear in mind that buying in a junk yard, does not guarantee you working or useable components, and that if you do find an intact system, venting the refrigerant to the atmosphere (when disassembling) is illegal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sell my Suzi? [hands over ears] What? I can't hear you. :)

Maybe I could just donate all my organs instead? lol

Pleasure to meet you, Mr Moderator (the only thing "done in moderation" in Sin City is nothing -- so they say. But remember: *I'm* not saying it; *they* are) {grin}

Thanks for your response too. Guess I'm probably gonna have a Suzuki without a/c, so I best get the hell outta Dodge, huh? I was in Ridgecrest, CA last summer -- it wasn't Hell but you could certainly see it from there! (nice people tho) And Las Vegas is just as bad so ... time for a new state? I'm thinking some place *North* (lol) and green with cool air *outside* to make up for no a/c. RAIN would be nice too.

Hope y'all are having a great Saturday. It's a beautiful day here in LV. It would be hot, but there's a nice breeze blowing. A month or so from now, that "nice breeze" will feel like a blow torch in a sweatshop! :)

(okay, I'm making a guess about the sweatshop thingy; never actually been in one -- thank God!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts