Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 800 watt 6x9's in 6x9 boxes and Im gonna power them with a 115 watt amp. My question is it seem the bass is a lil flat in the boxes and I noticed that subs have air holes in them to release pressure. Whould the sound be improved by drilling a 1/2 or 1' hole in the boxes? I tested them om a 120 watt home stereo. What should I do?

·
Registered
433 Posts
agreed, your speakers dont move as much air as subs. sub boxes have holes mostly because they are made for universal subs. if they were to seal every box then say place a sub that needed at least 24 suare inches of air space in a 20 square inch sub enclosure you may unseal your box and lose sound quality. speakers like 6 by 9's in a box are used in simular ways but wont sound equal to even the smallest of subs. dimensions are used for explaination purposes only i know a sub wont fit in that small of a space.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Here's my two bits, coming from a bass player, not a car audio guy.

Those "holes" are ports. There are some cabs (enclosures) that are designed to have ports, and some designed not to. Just adding them probably won't help. Your boxes might not even be designed to spec for the speaker... just boxes.

Bass is about moving air - from what I've read, circular speakers are better at it. That's why people rip on the funky-shaped Xplod subs. 6x9's exist only because of fitment issues in cars. The flat bass might be all they're up for.

is the 800 a RMS or peak? Ohms? These are factors - it might just be underpowered when splitting a 115 watt amp. Try hooking up just one speaker and see if you get better sound.

The other option is to hire me & my G&L/Mesa-Boogie to ride in your trunk... :grin:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im using 6x9s for the space I dont want a sub I need my trunk space. Plus using them fo extra sound I have Pioneers in the back doors and I think still the stock sounds better. The boxes fit real well into the side pockets in the trunk with the amp where the spare use to be.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by Mischief@May 8 2006, 07:34 PM
Im using 6x9s for the space I dont want a sub I need my trunk space. Plus using them fo extra sound I have Pioneers in the back doors and I think still the stock sounds better. The boxes fit real well into the side pockets in the trunk with the amp where the spare use to be.
rear speakers can really hurt a sound stage. I have awesome speakers up front... and in the back I have really good 2-ways, the best the best buy had.. and they arnt bad at all. Though I keep them down where I cant hear them in the front cuz they'll just ruin the sound. The only reason I got em is cuz people in the back only heard bass. Anyways, I'd disconnect the rear speakers or get better ones up front

1 - 9 of 9 Posts