Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
5th Switch pluged to ECM. What is it?

Hi!

I found a electrical diagram for Tracker 1989-1990 but it is the same until 1994, in the diagram there is a switch for 5th but I don´t know what is it, my GEO Tracker 91 has that switch on transmission case but it is unplugged and now I know where plug it.

It goes to the ECM, but has unplugged by years, is that bad for the tracker?

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
The 5th gear switch disables the EGR function - I don't know if it does anything else, actually. You will have two connections on the tranny - the switch for the backup lights will be closer to the bellhousing than the 5th gear switch. Do your backup lights work??
Your instrument panel should be, from left to right, check engine light, oil, brake, 4wd (if you are), blank, battery, seatbelt, blank.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right!

All instrument panel is working perfectly now, thanks for answer me in the other post, this car always has the 5th switch unplugged and I don´t have any problem on its function.

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
On the cars prior to 1994, there is no thermoprobe on the EGR valve, so the EGR is basically mechanical, and will not throw a code even if it isn't working. If the 5th gear switch is disconnected, the EGR will be disabled - but you wouldn't know this while driving the car. The EGR is basically an emissions system - and the exhaust gas that it recirculates will keep the valves somewhat cooler than normal. On the other hand, cars had been around for 90 years without this system - and some people disconnect it anyway. It won't cause any problem with you if it is disconnected, just that the valves will run a bit hotter, and you will be spewing out a bit more exhaust gas without it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good to know, I was wondering this myself. I just figured it was in case some clusters came with a SHIFT UP light, and 5th gear would lock out the light since you can't shift up from there.

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
Not being able to shift into reverse from 5th is accomplished mechanically, by the limit yoke - a lever that springs into place when you're in 5th, and prevents you from moving the stick shift back into reverse.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Bex, the 4WD light is working now, and the 5th gear switch is disabled for the EGR function, some mechanic told me is better disabled, is that right?

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
As far as I know, the EGR is really for emissions (which less and less people seem to care about!!) and also, as a by product, the recirculating exhaust gas will allow your valves to run cooler. Frankly, cars have been running without an EGR for years. And additionally, on the 1989-1993 (cars without a probe that signals to the computer) your EGR system could be stone dead, and you wouldn't know it anyway. The EGR is a pretty common cause for hesitation and bogging, and a lot of people do disable them - one school of thought is that it gives you a bit more 'power' with it disabled. In any event, a lot of people disable them, so it's unlikely that this will do your car any harm.

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
As you have an IAC/ISC post, best to keep that one going, and not ask your ISC questions on this post....;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts