Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new here. Was over on the Sidekick forum for many years (3 Sidekicks over the years.)

Just picked up a very straight, no rust, '87 Samurai. Had it shipped from Pueblo CO (5,000 ft. altitude) to Northern IL (800 ft. altitude). Started it up, took it for a spin and lots of pinging. Retarded the timing and pinging goes away, but I'm way retarded on the timing marks, about 0 degrees TDC. I'm assuming that I need to mess with the carb as well to adjust to the extreme change in altitude. I'm assuming I may be very lean. Any recommendations?? I'm a total novice as regards the stock carburetor. Where do I start??

Also, my plan is to switch out the stock carb for a manual choke Weber sometime before the winter. (I'm not a rock-crawler so I don't mind the 30 degree 'tilting' problem.) I'm hoping I can pretty much toss anything related to the ECM at that point. Please tell me if I am wrong about that.

Thanks!!

I'll have to update my signature and avatar, 6 years old!!! Later today....

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are no mixture adjustments that can be made on the stock Hitachi carburetor. All adjustments, besides idle speed, are handled by the ECM, through the mixture control valve, located inside the carburetor itself. The ECM receives feedback from the oxygen sensor, as well as a few others, one of which is an altitude sensor, located on the firewall, near the stock battery location.
You might try checking the wiring connections for the multitude of emission control devices, first, before changing to a different carb.
Should you decide to move to a Weber, or, some other alternative, you can dump all the emissions devices. I deleted everything on mine, except the charcoal canister. EGR valve included. The Weber will make it run better, but your fuel economy will really suffer.
Don't be surprised if you get somewhere near 20mpg, instead of the 30mpg, some good running, stock Sammis get.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!! Yes I have reconsidered getting a weber due to the potential decrease in MPGs. I'm wondering if the same is true for the Toyota carb?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts