Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys I know it's not the popular swap, but I want to swap my 5 speed for the auto trans. I have a 98 2 dr tracker. I've located a wrecked 98 2 dr auto in a junk yard. I'm hoping they will sell me the whole car, but if not I'll have to buy all the parts for the swap individually. I want to make sure I get everything I need if I can in one trip as the yard is 1 1/2 hours away. So I need input from you guys on whats needed.

This is my list so far:
auto trans and torque converter
pedal assembly
shifter and linkage
ECU from auto trans tracker
driveshaft
Not sure if I need the wiring harness or if my 98 already has all the wiring run for the auto( this is where you experts can help me out.)

I'm not wooried about the rearend ratio as I'll be running larger tires in the 215-225 size range and from my research that should put me close to the same overall ratio as stock.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give. I've already learned a lot from this forum.

·
Super Moderator
26,224 Posts
You need to confirm if the auto tranny is the 3 speed or 4 speed tranny.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bex. I thought that all the 2dr trackers had the 3 speed auto. I don't mind which trans it is just as long as I get all the parts needed to swap it into mine. If it is the 3 speed do I need the wiring harness for it or should my wiring harness have everything I need on it already since they are the same year and both 2wd?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The auto is mostly mechanical, but you'll need to pull a few tricks if you don't get the entire harness and ECU --the clutch safety switch will have to be wired into the park/neutral switch for the auto. Also the reverse light wiring will have to be changed, and the solenoid that lets you shift out of park will need to be wired/disabled.

If you don't care about reverse lights (mine don't work, I don't care enough to troubleshoot it) and aren't dumb enough to start it in gear or put it in drive by mistake, you'll just have to worry about getting the TCC lockup working. You can go simple and just put a toggle switch in that locks it up when you're on the open road, or get more advanced with microcontrollers and such.

I don't know what else the OBDII ECU is going to complain about. I think that ill cover it, with a 3sp auto.

·
Super Moderator
26,224 Posts
You will need the auto ECU, regardless of whether it's 3 or 4 speed. With the 4 speed, you will also need the tranny ECU and harness - the 4 speed is an electronic transmission, and is physically longer - the 3 speed is mechanical - no tranny ECU.
Are both cars either 2wd or 4wd? They need to be the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The auto is mostly mechanical, but you'll need to pull a few tricks if you don't get the entire harness and ECU --the clutch safety switch will have to be wired into the park/neutral switch for the auto. Also the reverse light wiring will have to be changed, and the solenoid that lets you shift out of park will need to be wired/disabled.

If you don't care about reverse lights (mine don't work, I don't care enough to troubleshoot it) and aren't dumb enough to start it in gear or put it in drive by mistake, you'll just have to worry about getting the TCC lockup working. You can go simple and just put a toggle switch in that locks it up when you're on the open road, or get more advanced with microcontrollers and such.

I don't know what else the OBDII ECU is going to complain about. I think that ill cover it, with a 3sp auto.
ColonelHogan44 thanks for all the info. I was planning on getting the ECU. I'm just not sure if the wiring harnesses are completely different. Most car manufacturers seem to use the same harness in automatic or manual cars and just leave the unused connections disconnected. That's what I was hoping for anyway. Thanks again for all the info. Thats the things I'm trying to figure out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You will need the auto ECU, regardless of whether it's 3 or 4 speed. With the 4 speed, you will also need the tranny ECU and harness - the 4 speed is an electronic transmission, and is physically longer - the 3 speed is mechanical - no tranny ECU.
Are both cars either 2wd or 4wd? They need to be the same.
Bex, yes they are both 2dr 2 wheel dr 1998 Trackers. Heck, they are even the same color. The only difference is mine's a 5 speed and the one in the junkyard is an auto.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings,
I have a '91 Geo Tracker, 4x4, 3spd automatic. The 1.6l 8v motor was weak so I bought a '95 Tracker with a 1.6l 16v, 4x4, 5spd. manual transmission. I bought the whole vehicle. Hired a mechanic to swap the motor, computer and wiring. (Had the motor rebuilt).
He got the new motor and wiring from the '95 into the '91. It starts and runs but he closed his shop and left before doing anything with switching from a 5spd transmission to a 3spd automatic. What do I need to do as far as hook ups, (electric, vacuum and TV cable)?
I'm an old guy that was a mechanic way back in the day so I do have basic knowledge but I'm not curren, if you know what I mean.
Please give me any advice that will help me get this done.
Thanks, Ken Heersink
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
12,493 Posts
If you are an old time mechanic, this should be up your alley (old time vehicle)

Tough to switch to an auto, you will need to replace the ECM and harness.. (not worth the work)

·
Administrator
17,741 Posts
The three speed auto is a vacuum/mechanical shift unit, so it should be quite happy behind the 1.6, 16v from the five speed - only problem you're likely to have, and I use the term 'problem' loosely, is that the TCC won't work, so you'll loose a few miles per gallon - you'll need to hook up a vacuum line from the vacuum modulator to the intake manifold, which you may need to drill and tap a port for. You'll also have to figure out a way to hook up the TV cable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks so much for the replys. The ECM and harness have all been switched over from the '95 to the '91. Lots of empty connections that I'm not sure what they are for. Maybe nothing on the '91. I figured my first job is to get the transmission working with the 16v motor. After that we will move on to the next issue, what ever that maybe. I'm slow but will post as I make progress and I'm sure I will need more help.
Thanks again. Ken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts