Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was noticing a clanking from my rear end, and it got worse later on that day to where it was like vibrating the floorboard. Me and my buddy took the rear end apart, and my ring got demolished. There was 5 or 6 splines taken out. I had a spare used set of the same gears and same brand (yukon) and put the ring in there. I did not have another sleeve, so we did not replace the pinion. I got told that was a bad thing to do and would not last long?

If that is the case, here before too long I will have to buy a new ring and pinion. I looked at petroworks and they were 355 i think plus shipping for their 5.38's. I know that they use oem gears though. I was looking on ebay, and found the same yukon gears that I have and they were 230 free shipping. I also found another set for 180 that was CHA Gear.

Which should I buy. I believe I am going to stay away from the OEM, because I can replace the yukon gear twice almost for the price of 1 oem gear.

yukon or CHA gear?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
echoing Baratacus...
No brainer... you already have the gears, replace the crush sleeve and install what you have.

The OEM gears are a bit stronger, that is why they can get a higher price for them. Stock 5.38's are kind of hard to find...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, you guys took or wrong. The gears i had in it were used...the spare set I had was used...both pinion and ring...the pinion that was in the rear was good (no chips off the teeth) the pinion that i had as a spare at the very end 2 teeth have a small chunk missing...so thats the reason why we kept the pinion that was in installed. i have heard that sometimes they last alright like this, and sometimes they dont.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Ok, that makes sense.
The gears are paired and final honed at the factory as a pair. If you swap them around you run the risk that they won't line up (mesh) perfectly and it will make more noise, vibration and could damage what you have.

Go with what you can afford. i run factory 5.12's in the trail sami and yukon 4.57's in the street sami. Both work fine enough for their function.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I got you. so basically you are saying they may or may not last? If they don't then worst case scenario i got to buy new gears right? I have the 4:1 transfer I think? twin sticks. 2 low i can dump the clutch at idle...how do you like your 5.12's? I would like to get a little more top end, I can run about 62-63 mph running about 4200rpm. I have the tracker motor with the my-side 1 and a low end cam with 32" super swampers.

Would it be a huge difference down to the 5.12s?

·
Registered
212 Posts
used ring n pinion

Many of us have installed used gears with mixed results.
If u do...get a rear end guy to set it up for u.
He will make it last maximum time and tell u if u need to order the new parts now since the used mix will fail very soon. Alternatively he will tell u they match or are worn near enough that u will get some service out of them...take all ur stuff with u...(the other used gears) He will select the best of them.
Some of us have installed used gears with chips that were caused by chunks of the failed gear going thru the mesh...but the damage was not in the mesh area.
He will explain what that means as he sets up ur driven member.
Remember this is like a trail repair and is usually temporary...but most offroaders kno how often a temporary fix becomes permanent until something catastrophic causes the need to fix it right.
My Dad used to say: " If u don't have time to fix it right the first time, when will u have time to take it apart and fix it right the next time."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts