Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking I may know my issue but can anyone put in their thought on why my 4x4 shifter is not staying engaged?We had a good snow last week here in Nashville (a 1/2" shuts nashville down!)And while in 4x4 to get over the river bridge my shifter kept popping out? Although I have the brass shifter sheet I havent had the time to install it.I have the one for my trans installed though.Anyone think this may be my problem?As it is I have to put a small bungie cord around my shifter and hook it to my cup holder,lol.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Check the tcase mounting rubbers, if they have sheared then the tcase can move around allowing the lever to hit the body.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
It always sucks to find a problem when the weather turns and you really need the 4x4 capabilities!
But I agree, your rubber t-case mounts may be to blame if any of the three have sheared. Then again it may be the original shifter sheet still in the t-case. The brass unit is great, but only if it is installed...
I hpe you have a warm garage to work in.
;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I 'll have to go check my mounts and see what kind of shape they are in.I guess I will also install the brass sheet I have and no Billjohn,I dont have a garage at all so I will be out in the cold,lol.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Well, the good news is you can do the shifter sheet from inside the car, although you will be working through the shifter hole. At least it will keep the wind off your back.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well,Thats how I had planned on doing it although I have a 2'' body lift now and its looking like it maybe easier to just do it from underneath now??

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
It is easier to see the carnage from the top. Gotta clean out the junk left over from your old bushing. And if the locating pin is popped you might find the broken tip. With the lift, it will be easier to reattach the retainer clip around the lower shifter boot though (from underneath).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just an FYI - the transfercase uses synchromesh gears to engage 4wd and I just finished repairing a car that kept popping out of gear. The teeth on the gear had worn slightly - enough that when torque was applied, the synchro would pop back out of the collar and disengage. The previous owner used a bungie to keep it engaged which wore out the aluminum shift fork and filled the transmission with aluminum flakes. I hope the shift sheet solves your problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,I just replaced my trans so hope my t-case is ok!!!!Although I am wanting to got with the one Low Range has with low 2 as well as low 4 but thats almost $900 and i just dont have that right now.I just put 235"s on and wow,did it change things!I have about lost 5 gear.I didnt think Id have that problem till 30's and up????I have been told to go with the 4.89 gears?Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I have a stock t-case in the Stalker, and 4.57's in the diffs. turning 31" tires. It is almost too deep. The revs are around 5K on the freeway, but that is with a motor prepped for abuse.

I would just go with 4.16's in the t-case for your size tires. It will give you back some power and allow for moderate trails. If you get them from Petroworks, ask Gary about his replacement shift fork, it will give you 2Low like you want without going to the higher dollar twin sticks...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well,im really wanting to get to 31's,at least 30's.You think 4.16 gears will still be good?I just cant believe that 235's killed me that much? I was running 65 to 70 all day long on the hwy going to work but now im good to get up to 60 and at hills im in 4th.So im sure if I went to 30's id be in trouble on the hwy.I have my 235's on factory rims but was wanting to go to 8's for when i do go to 30's or 31's but not sure if 235's will run on 8's???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts