Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I need some advice as I’m new to the 4x4 world. I realised the 4x4 wasn’t working anymore on my ‘99 Grand Vitara. So I got the car up on a lift (4WD engaged) and moved the prop and forth it was moving the offside drive shaft but not the near side shaft. Any ideas? I’m going to have a closer look Saturday I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem on here and what to expect or look for. Would it be as simple as the cv joint problem or internal in the diff? Sorry if I’m not making much sense I have no 4x4 system knowledge.

Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
12,342 Posts
First - with all four wheels off the ground, what you describe is perfectly normal, because the vehicle has open differentials.

Next - I suggest you start by describing the original symptoms which lead you to believe the 4WD wasn't working.

Also It's not clear whether you're describing the front axle or the rear axle, although I suspect you're asking about the front, since the rear rarely gives trouble.

Put the car back on the ground, handbrake on, in Park if it's an automatic, in first if it's manual, engine off, ignition on, select 2H and verify that the 4WD light is off - jack one front tire off the ground and try to turn it, it should turn, now select 4H and verify the 4WD light is on, try to turn the raised wheel, it should not turn.

If everything checks out as described your 4WD system is working.

·
Super Moderator
17,822 Posts
You will find your answers in the (top thread) FAQ section, in this case here on that very subject...

And welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Last year, I had an issue where the light would not illuminate and I had no 4wd. Ended up being the actuator pump wiring that simply got old enough to lose continuity. Spliced in new wiring and that was it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last year, I had an issue where the light would not illuminate and I had no 4wd. Ended up being the actuator pump wiring that simply got old enough to lose continuity. Spliced in new wiring and that was it.
This is the same problem I'm having with mine. I don't know how common it is for the switches to go or the modules as I believe mine is run from a module not the ECU. It's all new to me but I'm starting to understand these jeeps and how they work slowly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome to the club!
As for me, I think I've learned more about the electrical side of the equation in the past year than I have my whole life......very slowly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts