Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here's my problem. My T case won't engage my front drive shaft. I can jack up the front end lock the hubs turn the tires and the drive shaft will spin. I'm pretty sure my driveshaft and hubs and axles are working properly. My other problem is my T case shifter is not correct. It shifts between 4L and 4H just fine. It won't follow the J pattern to 2H. You have to go to N first. Then you can move the shifter to the left then down. The T case has been opened up and lower gears put in by previous owner. Could my shifter be causing the 4WD to not work? Also in 4WD my indicator light doesn't come on. Low range and high range work just fine. But only the rear driveshaft turns. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
It sounds like your transfer case may have been modified to permit 2WD low range operation, and you're not getting it into 4WD.

The link below shows the modified shift pattern
Samurai - How to set up a transfer case for 2WD-Low | iZook - Suzuki 4x4 Tech Information, Accessories, Travel & Adventure
X2 on this. I personally did the modification for 2LO on my Samurai, and operation is exactly as you describe.

If you plan on off roading this on a regular basis, it will be well worth the money to install a twin stick kit on the transfer case. Even knowing my shift pattern, it's still occasionally a pain to get it into 2LO, and an even bigger pain to get it back OUT of 2LO. Drove a buddy's Samurai with the twin stick kit, and it's a dream in comparison.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I figured out what the problem was. I pulled my shifter and found the 2 rods to be out of alignment. I realigned them put the shifter back in and. Is my 4wd works as it should.

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
You may have found a solution - but the problem is a little more than misalignment - the fact that you were able to move the HI-LO shift rod with the 2WD-4WD shift rod in 2WD indicates that the interlock ball has either been deliberately removed or accidentally omitted.

Under normal circumstances (ie. with an unmodified or correctly assembled transfer case), when 2WD is selected, low range is locked out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts