Suzuki Forums banner

4x4 lights flashing - 2010 Grand Vitara

11K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Modock 
#1 ·
Hi,

Your help will be appreciated.

2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara

I recently bought this vehicle and initially there was no 4x4 indicator lit when trying to switch between 4x4 modes. I took the vehicle back to the dealership to fix the problem.

Now they report that all the 4x4 indicators flash on the dash. It keeps on flashing all the time. As I understand this model has a control unit on the transfer case and not the pressure activated switch (with a pump from the bumper).

The mechanic also mentioned that he is getting some error code about an auto gearbox error even though my vehicle is a manual.

Any ideas what the issue could be? I am desperate to get my vehicle back...

#2 · (Edited)
You will only get a 4WD indicator when the transfer case makes a successful shift to 4HL and an additional indicator when in 4LL

what codes is he getting? the flashing 4 x 4 lights are usually an indication of an incomplete range change and should be accompanied by an error message on the information display on the dash.

first thing is to confirm exactly what state its in and then start diagnosing from there. The 2 position switches on the transfer case selectors can get dirty contacts too if the transmission hasn't been switched much, this usually resolves by making it select 4H to 4HL and 4LL several times.
if a switch is stuck, it will give flashing lights and error codes for incorrect state and incomplete transfer case operation.
It is imperative the car is not driven on hard ground until it is confirmed it is in fact in 4H and not in 4HL or 4LL as wind up will occur within 10 feet of moving the car leading to the transfer case not being able to change state. Only solution is o jack up one of the front wheels to release tension and then change the transfer case to 4H
11 and 10 are the switches in the following pic
I have also attached the 4WD control pages for you to read and take to the mechanic.

Attachments

Reactions: Hannes
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply

I will ask him for the error codes. It's in 4H according to him. He has replaced some switches (I am not sure which ones).

Initially the vehicle went back to him with no 4x4 lights coming on when I shifted it between modes. Even the neutral mode did not do anything - it is supposed to disengage all drive for towing.

So sent it in saying nothing worked. He then "fixed" it and returned the vehicle. Still no lights and also not going into N. When I asked he said that it does engage 4HL and 4LL but I did not accept the fact that no indicators worked.

Sent it back and now he has lights flashing like a Christmas tree - the 4x4, 4L etc. So obviously something VERY wrong...

what codes is he getting? the flashing 4 x 4 lights are usually an indication of an incomplete range change and should be accompanied by an error message on the information display on the dash.

first thing is to confirm exactly what state its in and then start diagnosing from there. The 2 position switches on the transfer case selectors can get dirty contacts too if the transmission hasn't been switched much, this usually resolves by making it select 4H to 4HL and 4LL several times.
if a switch is stuck, it will give flashing lights and error codes for incorrect state and incomplete transfer case operation.
It is imperative the car is not driven on hard ground until it is confirmed it is in fact in 4H and not in 4HL or 4LL as wind up will occur within 10 feet of moving the car leading to the transfer case not being able to change state. Only solution is o jack up one of the front wheels to release tension and then change the transfer case to 4H

#5 ·
to engage neutral, many get this wrong.
main box in neutral, foot hard on brake, turn knob to N, press and continue turning to white line, hold there for about 10 seconds until the warning comes up on the dash with the big red N indicator, then release switch to let it rest at the N position.

Reactions: Hannes
#6 ·
to engage neutral, many get this wrong.
main box in neutral, foot hard on brake, turn knob to N, press and continue turning to white line, hold there for about 10 seconds until the warning comes up on the dash with the big red N indicator, then release switch to let it rest at the N position.
The mechanic got back to me now. He checked everything and is still getting the automatic transmission error (even though my vehicle is a manual trans). He suggested that the vehicle gets scanned at Suzuki to check the build or something. Apparently there is a setting for Auto or Manual transmissions.

Could it be that my vehicle has an ecu for auto and not manual? Do they have different ecu's? Or is it simply a setting that can be toggled on the ecu?

#7 ·
different ECU's and the auto one won't work in a manual as far as I know as they all have to be coded to the other modules and mismatches like this mean you can't code an incorrect type and get the car to function. I suspect he has a sensor somewhere thats playing up and his scan tool isn't decoding the module response correctly..
Time to hook up a decent scan tool to it and see what its actually doing, or find a mechanic that knows the 3G 'zukes a bit better

#14 ·
P1874 is 4L switch shorted
C1093 generic issue with 4wd system (dtc detected )
C1027 esp off switch failure short to ground
C1223 transfer switch actuator motor position switch 1 open circuit
C1224 transfer switch actuator motor switch 1 short.

Start by clearing codes, see what comes back. If they all cone back I would start by checking for rodent damage around the 4wd control module loom (behind glove box) as thats the only thing common to all, the codes. Esp switch is in the same loom as the 4wd control switch from the centre console, the rest are all on the transfer case.
If everything but the 1027 comes back, Check wiring to transfer case for any damage

Reactions: Modock