Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about something.
In an 02 tracker 2.0L auto:

When shifting to 4H the frond drive-shaft spin's up regardless if the front dif engages.

So my question is, When going back to 2H shouldn't the fron't drive shaft be de-coupled in the transfer case and spin down ?

The reason I'm asking is because I can engage 4x4 but can't disengage the front shaft (in the xfer case) and when pulling back on the shifter I don't feel any resistance as if I'm pulling the coupler out. I only feel some resistance when putting it into 4x4.

I can feel a vibration that tell's me its still being driven but it only spin's down when ever it want's to.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
When shifting to 4H the frond drive-shaft spin's up regardless if the front diff engages.
When shifting to 4WD, the front diff automatically engages (pneumatically from air pump pressure exerted on the front diff's internal dog clutch) so maybe you don't understand the system? :huh:

See... ;)
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/1g-199...78-4-wheel-drive-system-problems-include.html

If when in 2WD and you somehow observe the front drive shaft spinning, I assume it is from cold / thick (or old) gear oils allowing the associated components to "trail". Never looked at mine, nor heard any mention of this by others, FWIW.

What is the gear oil change history on your ride? Plug in your location under "User CP" too.

When off and in 2WD, can you turn the front drive shaft by hand (yes, with some notable resistance, particularly if cold)? That would indicate that it is indeed drive disengaged. :)

If for some reason the drive shaft WON'T turn, then you have an issue with the x-fer case or front diff. Disconnecting the drive shaft and turning those two components by hand will isolate the problem to one or the other.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks max, I understand the system perfectly. I just think I have a transfer case issue. But it would be nice to confirm it wirh experience from others.

How can I explain it ...

If you leave the front diff out of the equation and just think of the way the transfer case couples internally to drive the chain and in turn the front driveshaft. Shouldn't it disconnect when I shift to 2H? Shouldn't the motion of shifting back to 2H mechanically disengage the front drivshaft coupler inside the transfer case ?
When I shift to 4x4H while in motion it will go in and I can feel when its driving the front driveshaft. (Vibrates a bit)
When I shift back to 2H I know the front diff is releasing but the driveshaft is still being driven by the transfer case. (still Vibrates)
I know when its disengaged because the vibration stops.

It doesn't physically feel like I'm releasing anything when shifting to 2H. More like I'm just moving the shifter out of the way and eventualy the coupler just fall's out of place when ever it wants to.

As for history: everything in the front is new with maybe 400 miles on it.
New: front driveshaft (I mean brand spanking new)
Cv axles
Differntial and Casing
Wheel bearings
All fluids. (Proper fluids) xfer case, front diff, transmission.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
I just think I have a transfer case issue. But it would be nice to confirm it wirh experience from others.
Then yes, you need to...

When off and in 2WD, can you turn the front drive shaft by hand (yes, with some notable resistance, particularly if cold)? That would indicate that it is indeed drive disengaged.

If for some reason the drive shaft WON'T turn, then you have an issue with the x-fer case or front diff. Disconnecting the drive shaft and turning those two components by hand will isolate the problem to one or the other (diff or X-fer).
Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So your saying. When I shift back to 2H the transfer case should be disengaged instantly?
Then thats it. I've disconnected the shaft at the front diff and it wont move at first.
If I wiggle the it for a bit it will disengage.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
Again...what are your oil temps and oil change history? :huh:

You are probably just experiencing partially stuck components from recent engagement. It IS customary to rock the vehicle under power (forward and aft) for complete disengagement in some instances.

A synthetic gear oil will aid the situation, and of course a loose sand or snow surface is required too as that is the ONLY surface that you should be attempting to use 4WD (without binding). IF you are attempting to engage / disengage on a hard surface, that only aggravates the issue, in other words.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The front is new with 75/90 synthetic.
Synchromesh synthetic in the transfer case. Changed 400 Miles ago and usually every 30k is when I change it.
Temps here vary from -10c to +15c usually.
When engaging 4x4 I am on a surface that allows for some slip. I do not try it on a hard surface. Its usually snow that I would use it on.

I have just tried it on a hoist and in 4H all 4 spin. Shifting to 2H causes the front wheels to slow and stop but the front drive shaft stays connected and never stops.
But after stopping the transfer case and wiggling the driveshaft it will eventually let go and freewheel. But I mean back and forth for a few minutes!

I can put another transfer case in but I just don't want to do it for nothing :p

Thanks for your help, I apreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
Glad to help, but I'm not sure that we are out of the woods here. :huh:

I'm thinking that IF you have no noise or engagement issues after driving normally in 2WD and warming everything up, then I wouldn't worry.

This would be in conjunction with 4WD working to your satisfaction, when selected.

FWIW...Nova Scotia='s cold / thick gear oil too. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thing I'm not too happy about is after I switch back to 2, I still feel the vibration of the front driveshaft spinning when I go again. I don't like going hwy speeds with that thing spinning away :p

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
How large (or small) a bearing?

There are a couple of different places that could come from, it could be a detent ball (which would indicate someone has been in that tcase before) or it could have "escaped" from one of the support bearings.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Wasn't there the last time I did a fluid change :eek:

It a 3/16" ball and there is only one. I did fish around with a small magnet and nothing else came out or in the bucket.

Looks like I'm changing it out for more than one reason :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.