Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 samurai with stock transfer case. The shifter was real loose and would pop in and out of gears so i changed the shifter bushing in it. Now i cant get it to go in 2wd, only 4 high and 4 low and neutral. I had the same problem befor i changed the bushing out. Please help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
While you have the shifter out, look down inside the case and make sure the notches on the shift rods line up. You can move them by using a large flat bladed screwdriver (just twist). Then replace the shifter and see if there is a difference.

(not the best pic, but you get the idea)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Billjohn is right on the money. I did the same thing when I first removed my shifter. It took me a few minutes to figure it out... I didn't move the shifter when removing it but they still moved some how.
I now see how easy it is to make a twin shifter...

forgot to say - you can move them back to the center with a large straight screwdriver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That fixed it!!!:) thanks for the help. Now i have a bigger problem, I think the ring and pinion is fixing to go out. I have alot of play in the drive shaft. It dosent move up and down but i can turn it with my hand about 3/4 of a inch and it pops and locks up.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea Im going to take it out this weekend a check it out. I will they you know what the damage is. I hope its not to bad.

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I was replacing the oil pan gasket, I noticed the front driveshaft (don't know what that one is called compared to the one in the back) would move (rotate) almost an inch in either direction. I don't know if it makes a difference for the front driveshaft, but the wheels were off the ground and it was in gear. Sounds like the same thing that bdasinger is having, except I don't know if something is locking up. Is this also an indication of a problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tested mine with the tires on the ground and the transfer case and transmission in neutal and i have some play in the drive shaft. It moves about 3/4 to 1 inch.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
You may be fine, but what worried me was the 'locking up' part. Suzuki diffs have play built in - no matter how perfect the backlash setting on the R/P is. But something is locking up the rotation then you are just asking for an ugly problem if you ignore it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well thats good news. I think it the pinion bearing cause i hear alot of grinding noise like a bearing thats coming apart

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i got everything apart today and found out that the ring and pinion is in great condition and the bearing was in good condition to. So the thing that was grinding was the right axle bearing, it is toast. There was alot of sand and alittle water in with the gear lube so now i am going to clean everything real good and get a new bearing, put on in the middle of the week, i would do it now but i dont have any way to press the bearing on and the old one off, also have to order the bearing keeper. thanks for everbody's help.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bearing keeper???
If you have sand and water in the oil, I bet your gears are worn. They are nice and shinny, aren't they? That is a bad sign. That affects the backlash. I would replace all the bearings and seals, don't forget about them. You should also look how bad the side gears/housing are. If the axle was moving around that much what do you think that did to the rest of the internals?
Trust me... take apart everything, wash it all out really well and replace every bearing and seal. It will then last much longer than just replacing the one bearing. Replacing one thing at a time, you will just be chasing your tail forever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea there is a bearing keeper on the back side of the axle bearing. I might not need to put another one on there. i was going to go ahead and replace all the seals and bearings since i have everthing apart. the ring and pinion dosent look "shinny" so im going to clean it real good and reuse it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts