Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not my Sidekick but my GF's '93 (she's the original owner). Snowed here (rare) so she went into 4WD or so she thought. It doesn't seem to work and I don't have a shop manual to figure out what is wrong. I was wit her today and we got stuck. One rear tire spins, other one stays put, and so do the front wheels (light on, hubs locked).

Did some diagnostic tests:

With hubs locked and in 2WD: drive car in forward and reverse. Shaft from transfer case to front diff rotates.

With hubs locked and in 4WD: same test, same results.

With hubs unlocked and in 4WD: same test and same results.

With hubs unlocked and in 2WD: same test, but front shaft does not turn.

I have limited garage space, jacks and jack stands so can't determine if the 4WD is working or not. Any qick way to fnd out?

TIA.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Hello bas:

interesting tests, if front shafts turn when in 2wd then when transfer case switched, you should have 4wd, the only other thing i can recommend is puting up the vehicle on jack stands (all four sides) and then see if the front wheels turn when 4wd is engaged.

94box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the simular problem.
With the hubs in the locked position, selecting High or Low 4wd i stil only have drive to the rear.
Also when trying to shift from High 2wd to High 4wd, (while on the move) the transfer grates indercating that the front diff is not turning. If the diff was turning the tail shaft it is possable to shift between High 2 and High 4wd.
I am about to take my vehicle in to a dealer to have it checked.
The only thing it can be is a broken front axle or a stripped free wheeling hub.
Will let you know.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
hello ron,

could be a transfer case issue, once the hubs are locked (either manually or auto) you can shift on the fly -- that's what the owner's manual states.

do keep us posted, the noise makes me wonder if it isn't something internal,

94box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have sorted it out.
The right hand side Free Wheeling Hub was not enguaging.
It had frozen up due to being driven on the beach and not being serviced.
The dog gear inside the hub was not pushing in onto the axel.
I pulled it apart, cleaned it up and put it back together.
There is a spring between the locking lug and a dog gear. It had came off the dog gear. I had to wind it back on so when you turned the lock it pushed and pulled the dog gear in and out. Packed in some grease, it all works now.

One thing though, the grease is coming out onto the wheel. The gasket was fine but is still comeing out. So i would suggest a small amount of silcon to seal it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts