Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I have an issue with my suzuki grand vitara 2006. Each time I change to 4H,4H lock/4L lock I hear a noise below the glove box. Its seems it is comming from the part that controls the 4WD actuator. When I disconnect the cable that go to this part the noise ceases. I assume hat this part(piece) do not have to make a sound when I use the 4WD actuator. For now I leave the 4WD actuator on the N. Is the moise means that the part need to be change or there is a way to reset it?

Regards Nehemie

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
What is the noise you are hearing? I can hear the motor actuator noise on my transfer case when I select different modes. What exactly have you unplugged?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Don't leave the selector in N. Only used for towing the vehicle. You will hear a sound when engaging differekt 4WD modes. As 2013GV said: what exactly have you unplugged?

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
If hes unplugged the 4wd controller then the switch will have no effect and trans will stay in last mode selected, hopefully not in 4HL or hes going to destroy his transfer case driving it on the road.

·
Registered
92 Posts
When I bought my GV it was towed behind a motorhome and also made noise when selecting 4H/N/4L. I changed the transfer case oil and now I cannot hear anything. Have you checked your fluid level? Work a look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All,
The noise is like something clicking combine with a sound like a high tone. This sound does not stop at all
Regards Nehemie

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Ok, you have unplugged the 4WD control module. You need to confirm your transfer case is in 4H not 4HL before driving it or you will cause significant damage to your drive train. With it unplugged the switch on the console will not function so it wont matter where it is.
I suggest you seek the assistance if a diagnostician to diagnose the issue as you will be affecting the engine ECM and BCM functions if you leave it unplugged

Reactions: Mikebtte

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi 2013GV,
Thank you for your update. 3 questions
1- As the 4wd control module is disconnected meaning the transfer case is in neutral position?
2 - is there a way to reset the 4wd control modules?
3- Do you have an idea of what issue can affect the ECM and BCM if i leave it unplug?
Regards Nehemie

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Hi 2013GV,
Thank you for your update. 3 questions
1- As the 4wd control module is disconnected meaning the transfer case is in neutral position?
2 - is there a way to reset the 4wd control modules?
3- Do you have an idea of what issue can affect the ECM and BCM if i leave it unplug?
Regards Nehemie
1, transfer should remain in the last selected position, this cannot be guaranteed as we do not know what the TCM is actually doing, or what position it was actually in. If it's in neutral you wont go anywhere.....its in neutral so no drive. Worse case, it's in 4HL which will result in damage if you drive it any distance (can be as short as 100 yards) on a hard surface
2, unplug both? (I think there are 2, but I'm not near the pc with my manuals) leave it for 20 minutes then plug back in. However, if it's getting bad data from the HVAC, BCM, OR ECM modules you may need to disconnect the battery to reset all of them. This will result in loss of fuel trims and it will need an idle reset. Not the end of the world. This is why you need a decent diagnosis from someone who can check whether it's a module issue or a data from somewhere else that's causing the issue.
3, error codes, communication issues, some transmission functions may revert to fail safe, I will have to check the fail safe tables in the manual, some engine control functions may also be affected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts