Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone I tried posting this in my first thread but it was probably mislooked :p I have a 1986 suzuki samurai, stock 1.3. The transmission is very noisy in higher gears. I am almost positive it isn't the transfer case, but if I'm wrong please tell me. As far as I know from what I can hear, in 4th gear it starts making a whining noise. It will only make noise during acceleration, with no throttle it is quiet riding in gear. The same for 5th gear but louder. It buzzes and whines and it's pretty loud. It will slightly smooth put past 50mph. If I slowly let of throttle, it slightly makes a short high pitched grinding noise as the throw out lets off, then rides quiet but theres also a high pitched whining/buzzing noise during deceleration and it isn't too loud. Only in 5th gear tho. But my questions are what's goin on exactly? What noises are normal, and what parts I'm going to have to replace if I were to rebuild it myself. I know that might be a long shot with the given information. I plan on flushing/replacing the tranny fluid and checking for metal debris. Any questions to help diagnose shoot away! I would love to get this taken care of asap thanks :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Help anybody??? I just want to know if the bearings in the transmission is what is causing this? I have heard sometimes it can be a u-joint but it sounds to me like th transmission. The noise starts in 3rd gear sometimes, and gets louder in 4th Nd 5th. It is a whining noise similar to the noise blown axle bearings make. That's what makes me think its a bearing. Just want to know if there is any way to diagnose what parts of the transmission are good or not without taking it apart. I just want to make sure that I know the problem so I can buy all the necessary parts. Any help is greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Have you checked or changed the grease yet? Not enough or worn out grease will cause lots of strange noises and ware parts out verry quickly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked or changed the grease yet? Not enough or worn out grease will cause lots of strange noises and ware parts out verry quickly.
I have been a little busy so I haven't been able to but I plan on checking/replacing the fluid today. Ill let you know if there's any metal debris in the fluid thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever find out whats going on with this chief? I picked up a samurai just the other day and have found myself experiencing the same exact situation.

·
Super Moderator
12,189 Posts
Diagnosing noises, especially drive train noises, at a distance can be near impossible - see if you can find someone with a "chassis ear" that you can rent or borrow - it's a set of microphones that you attach to the various parts of the chassis, and then you can listen to each mike and narrow down the source.

The best I can do at a distance is suggest that the transmission is not the source - bad transmission bearings have a tendency to be noisy in the lower gears, and least noisy in fourth - this is due to the design of the transmission, fourth gear is a direct 1:1 ratio in which both ends of the shaft are supported. I suspect you're getting the noise in fourth & fifth because it occurs at a particular road speed, and you can only reach that speed in the higher gears.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Diagnosing noises, especially drive train noises, at a distance can be near impossible - see if you can find someone with a "chassis ear" that you can rent or borrow - it's a set of microphones that you attach to the various parts of the chassis, and then you can listen to each mike and narrow down the source.

The best I can do at a distance is suggest that the transmission is not the source - bad transmission bearings have a tendency to be noisy in the lower gears, and least noisy in fourth - this is due to the design of the transmission, fourth gear is a direct 1:1 ratio in which both ends of the shaft are supported. I suspect you're getting the noise in fourth & fifth because it occurs at a particular road speed, and you can only reach that speed in the higher gears.
I would have to say you're correct. I can try to get my hands on the chassis ear you were talking about. But yes, the noise only starts at around 35-40 mph, sometimes 3rd gear, 4th and 5th are the only times it is at it's loudest. What made me think it was the transmission is that it will only whine while I give it throttle in gear. Would you happen to know what are any, if not all moving parts that are connected to the tranny in gear?? Could be helpful in the process of diagnosing what's going on. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,189 Posts
35~40 mph and only when under power, I would suspect the rear end - have you changed the oil recently? What did the old lube look like?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
35~40 mph and only when under power, I would suspect the rear end - have you changed the oil recently? What did the old lube look like?
I haven't changed the rear axle gear oil although I'm certain it isn't coming from the axle. It makes this noise past 35-40, not just at that speed. It gets progressively louder through the gear changes as well. It only makes the noise while its in gear, and while I'm giving it throttle accelerating. The noise is coming from either the backside of the motor like near the flywheel and the transmission. For some moments at higher speeds it can even sounds like the noise is kind of coming from the tcase, but I am positive it is mostly near under the shifter/under the dash area. Could this be the flywheel or u-joints? I know I need to check the fluids but money is tight for me at the moment and it's my daily driver. I would like to diagnose the problem without physically taking out the transmission, unless needed for repair. I would also like to have this somewhat figured out before I go buy a part I don't need, or vice versa.. I guess my question would be what parts are moving during acceleration while you are in gear? And could a possibility of this noise be a clutch bearing, pilot synchro, pilot bearing?? Just throwing things out there.. Anything helps thanks :D

·
Super Moderator
12,189 Posts
The flywheel is a solid steel disc, it's unlikely to be making any noise at all - clutch release & pilot shaft bearings will only make noise when the clutch is depressed, although in some cases if the clutch is incorrectly adjusted, the release bearing may be in contact with the clutch when it should not, and will make noise when it would not normally.

The location you describe suggests transmission, but the point at which you report the noise - specifically 4th gear - suggests otherwise. In most cases a transmission with worn bearings will make noise in the lower gears, and in my experience, more likely on the over run, than when under power.

Have you at least checked the lube levels in the transmission, transfer case & differentials - evenn if you don't change the oil at least top them up, you could save yourself quite a bit of cash in the long term.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The flywheel is a solid steel disc, it's unlikely to be making any noise at all - clutch release & pilot shaft bearings will only make noise when the clutch is depressed, although in some cases if the clutch is incorrectly adjusted, the release bearing may be in contact with the clutch when it should not, and will make noise when it would not normally.

The location you describe suggests transmission, but the point at which you report the noise - specifically 4th gear - suggests otherwise. In most cases a transmission with worn bearings will make noise in the lower gears, and in my experience, more likely on the over run, than when under power.

Have you at least checked the lube levels in the transmission, transfer case & differentials - evenn if you don't change the oil at least top them up, you could save yourself quite a bit of cash in the long term.
Thanks for the advice. I have yet to check the fluids but I will do that as soon as I have the extra cash. Only gear oil I can find is redline mt-90 and it can be pricey. As for the noise I've been hearing, it progressively gets louder with higher speed. I can hear the whining slightly in second gear, so I'm sure it isn't a gear in specific, it's just making the noise louder at higher speeds. Is it possible it could be my tcase?

·
Super Moderator
12,189 Posts
Yes - the transfer case is a possibility - as for the gear oil, your location is shown as North Carolina - that's not exactly the boonies - I have difficulty believing that you can't find half a dozen different brands of gear oil within a reasonable distance, are there no Walmarts, or any of the auto parts chains there?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes - the transfer case is a possibility - as for the gear oil, your location is shown as North Carolina - that's not exactly the boonies - I have difficulty believing that you can't find half a dozen different brands of gear oil within a reasonable distance, are there no Walmarts, or any of the auto parts chains there?
Yes I have been to autozone, advance auto, and napa. None of them carry gl-4 compatible gear oil, which is necessary if I want to replace my transmission fluid. The best oil I've been able to find is redline mt-90, but it runs 15 bucks a quart, and I've been able to find it at a specialized redline dealer at a diesel and truck repair shop locally but haven't had the extra cash to get it. And by the way when I say the noise happens during acceleration, it will only make the noise while I'm going faster and when I'm downshifting its quiet

·
Registered
293 Posts
The Pennzoil Synchromesh is a lighter weight oil than recommended and works very well in cold weather. Makes the transmission shift much easier when cold.

Currently using a Sta-Lube hypoid gear oil rated GL4 but is 85w90. Got it at NAPA. When cold it is a littler hard to shift, so when warming up the engine, I place the transmission in 2nd gear and the transfer case in neutral. That allows the the transmission oil to warm a bit before driving off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay so after reading a few threads, I figured I would try to diagnose the noise a little further so I put the tcase in neutral, and shifted through all gears. 1st 2nd and 3rd were quiet, 3rd although had a very very faint buzzing noise. Now 4th gear at a 1:1 ratio started to make noise, it was quieter than when I'm actually driving but I'm guessing this is because I'm sitting in neutral, and there is no load on the drivetrain. This noise was a slight clunking metal noise, as opposed to the whining noise while I'm driving. I put it in 5th gear and the noise got louder. It sounds like a clunking noise, not completely repetitive but definitely in synchronization. I got out and stucky head under while it idled in 5th gear ;D and the noise was DEFINITELY coming from the tcase. Now when I listened to it it, it didn't sound like a very good thing. I'm confused as to why it's only making apparent noise in 4th and 5th gear, when it appears to be the tcase that's making the noise? And if the tcase is in 2H does this mean if this noise is occurring in the tcase at any speed, those are the gears affected? I really need to change and inspect the fluid in the tcase, I might just use some Lucas 80w-90 in my tcase as I've heard enough good things about it. I can let you kno what the fluid looks like as soon as I find out. Thanks guys :)

·
Super Moderator
12,189 Posts
The difference between a GL4 & a GL5 oil is an additive known as an EP (extreme pressure) additive - GL5 oils have a higher level of this additive. There are different EP additives, some oils use sulphur as an EP additive and these oils will destroy the softer bronze & brass metals (known as yellow metals) used in the transmission syncromesh rings.

You can find yellow metal friendly GL5 oils - Mobil1 full synth 75w90 is one such oil, and I have been using it in several vehicles instead of a GL4 for over a decade.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The difference between a GL4 & a GL5 oil is an additive known as an EP (extreme pressure) additive - GL5 oils have a higher level of this additive. There are different EP additives, some oils use sulphur as an EP additive and these oils will destroy the softer bronze & brass metals (known as yellow metals) used in the transmission syncromesh rings.

You can find yellow metal friendly GL5 oils - Mobil1 full synth 75w90 is one such oil, and I have been using it in several vehicles instead of a GL4 for over a decade.
Alright ill have to look for the Mobil1 full synth. I've read up on gl-5's effects, and that's why it's been so hard for me to find. I've just been looking for a gear oil locally at a good price as opposed to buying it online or just going with redline mt-90 if I'm just gonna have to replace something.. I posted above where I have pinpointed a noise in my transfer case. If you read my posting above I put the description there

·
Registered
16 Posts
have you found the solution? im from uruguay and recently bought the suzie, im having the exact same issue (besides a few others) and i could not find an answer to the whining noise at that exact speeds

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
have you found the solution? im from uruguay and recently bought the suzie, im having the exact same issue (besides a few others) and i could not find an answer to the whining noise at that exact speeds
No I haven't found a definite answer yet, other than start with checking your fluids and replacing, and checking/rebuilding or replacing u-joints.. Also if you would like to pinpoint the noise a little further, try what I said in a couple posts before. Put your transfer case in neutral and shift through the gears. It makes noise at idle if it sits in 4th or 5th gear for me. I can hear a chattering noise from my transfer case. Other than that, that's as far as I've gotten. Good luck with your dilemma, I can let you know as soon as I've found something as well

·
Registered
111 Posts

Good info here, I had no idea about the sulphur yellow metal thing. Damn you guys get me to thinking sometimes.

Thanks
Mike

1 - 20 of 44 Posts