Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya all, been lurking here awhile with a tired '92 4 door Suzuki with 265 thousand miles.

I use this rig mainly for driving around town, but its been to the dunes, and makes a Handfull of road trips over the summer, but recently, the car has been missing until it gets warm.

I have been doing a few compression tests on it over the last few months, and the #2 piston was at 65 psi last fall, and as of yesterday it was down to 50 psi.

I have always wanted to add more horsepower to this car, and a few days ago the stars all aligned, and a ford 302 mated to a shorty AOD trans with T-case practically landed in my lap.

You can tell where this is going.... ;)
I want to keep it as stock appearing as possible, although I know that it will have to be lifted a small amount to clear the front driveline, and may have to add a hood scoop to clear the carb and filter.

The F-150 that these came out of was BEAT, and the transmission crossmember was almost torn out of it. The problem is, that when we got it all out, the transmission bell had a monster crack in it. Good news is that I tried TIG welding a sample of the trans, and it welds nicely. so ill see what I can do to put humpty dumpty back together again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
neat project.... :):)
Thanks!

Got more done after work. The last of the EFI intake is gone, the new intake surfaces are prepped and I picked up the special TIG rod and some non-chlorinated brakleen for the trans repair.

While cleaning out the threads, I busted off a tap (shitty hansen garbage), but luckily I was able to take the engine for a quick trip down the road to a buddys shop and TIG weld a bolt to the end and back it out. :flipoff2:

And managed to find a sweet low-profile distributor on craigslist for cheap.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I have always liked Ford small blocks... my first "build" was a '65 Mustang with a built 289. Very fast car.

Another thing I have always wondered about. All the TracKick v8 conversions seem to be the shorter 2 door models. I had always thought the longer wheel base would help to control the extra power.

While it doesn't effect your project, I have been looking at my "Sport" the engine bay is wider and longer... only by a few inches, but I think that would make it easier for a v8 conversion.... but I haven't seen any.

Nice project, keep us in the loop.
(also in Oregon.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made a bunch of progress today. Got the intake manifold on, and the transmission endbell welded up really well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am going to watch this swap,I have a 92 2wd that has wiring issues and was thinking about gutting everything and swapping in a V8 if I keep it and might even go to a 351-W.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That 351 will be a screamer. I thought I was crazy with a 302.

Making lotsa progress. I finally got the sludge blasted wire wheeled and picked out of the motor, and replaced all of the multi-piece cork BS gaskets with single piece silicone ones. Also, A little shot of the red color I painted my supermoto with. Looks fast :):grin::grin:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the shop cleaned out in preparation to do the swap as fast as possible, and I got the air cleaner, fuel pump and fluids for the engine and trans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Newbie here on Sidekicks. Love the concept, but wondering on the dimensions. Width of axles compared to stock, and is there a more compact water pump/accessory drive for front of engine? I'll be following this swap with much interest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Made some big progress yesterday. The engine fits with room to spare :D. Going to weld up some new cross members, and hopefully get the engine in for real tonight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We got all the old motor mounts out last night, and the engine and Tcase sit in great (Lol, front driveshaft is longer than the back)

Sadly, there is no way that the radiator can live in the engine bay. So, we found a jeep cherokee radiator that is 11 x 3 x 31" that will fit behind a Brushguard bumper thing that Ill fab up. still be pretty stealthy, but get it out of the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Nice. You work FAR quicker than I do....

... Sadly, there is no way that the radiator can live in the engine bay. ...
I suspected it would be an issue, that is why I have always thought a Sport model would have been a better candidate. A couple of inches here and there could make a big difference. I wonder if just the front sheet metal from the sport would help your situation and at least cover the radiator, providing a little protection, and looking "stockish" ... at least at first glance.

I remember seeing pictures of a TracKick on eBay with a Corvette motor that didn't have a radiator up front. I do not remember any pictures of the cooling system... but they said the car was street operational, so it had to have one.... somewhere!

Keep going, we'll keep watching and yelling rude comments from the cheap seats! :lol:

·
Registered
303 Posts
It's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the end result. That thing is going to be a rocket when it's done. With all of that hp on tap (I don't know much about ford motors but I'm guessing at least 300). Post a video once it's running and driving. Maybe it will inspire others to do v8 swaps in these little things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the end result. That thing is going to be a rocket when it's done. With all of that hp on tap (I don't know much about ford motors but I'm guessing at least 300). Post a video once it's running and driving. Maybe it will inspire others to do v8 swaps in these little things.
Without a whole lotta work these engines will do 400hp. This one should be around 260 at the crank, and 200ish at the wheel. About three times what the origional 1.6l with the auto put down. :D

Also got the Front high pinion dana 30 axle done. new gears, bearings and seals and paint. Along with a nice electric 4wd actuator solenoid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny I found this thread online I am the new owner of this Suzuki that was built I noticed you guys didn't get to see the end result. Thing runs great starter sticks on once in a while but other than that I have turned it into an off road vehicle

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Thanks for posting. Some more pics would be good, where is the radiator?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The radiator is located below the grill the center part of the bumper was cut out and the radiator was slightly angled back at the bottom. Only pic of I have right now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts