Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want put 4 wheel steer in my 88 sami, is it as easy as puting a front axle in the rear with a hydraulic ram controlling the rear steering??

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
major major work, the whole rear suspension and mounts will require modification, as will the drive shafts and hubs. Not a cheap or easy exercise. Control systems will also be an issue.

I fitted a hydraulic system on a competition offroader and that ran to several thousand dollars and certainly wouldn't be safe to use on the road. its a big enough handful offroad and only gets used for tight maneuvering, rest of the time it stays locked straight.

·
Banned
329 Posts
I want put 4 wheel steer in my 88 sami, is it as easy as puting a front axle in the rear with a hydraulic ram controlling the rear steering??
Unless you are just going to drive this up and down the road, I suspect a samurai front axle in the rear won't last long.
Keep in mind, the samurai front axle shafts are made to only handle half the torque the engine can produce (since the rear end will always share the load, when in 4wd).
If you put a front axle in the rear, then you can put 100% of the torque on those axleshafts and birfields (the birfields are probably what will break first).

Another thing to keep in mind, the frame is wider at the rear, so IDK how much steering you will be able to get out of a front axle in the rear, before the tires hit the frame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts