Suzuki Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
its about a quarter of a turn. if my soc alled TC is an example it must have spun for over 30 sec and didnt engage. If it ever rains again am planning on giving it a test. and the TC wont engage on the locked wheels anyway according to 2013s advice
as Ive got no error codes the computer obviously thinks its ok.
I have been on the hunt for a while and found some information on lockers.

Old post on the Harrop Locker
Harrop Locker
TRE4x4 TR307 rear locker

Harrop makes a Elocker that I want but can't get in the states. Harrop can't sell in the US because Eaton has claimed the market and are not making this locker in the US. An alternative is to have someone I know buy the locker in AU and ship it to me. An option but I am holding out, I don't like asking people to do this type of stuff for me. Eaton is also looking into this but has been little help.

Second is a locker from TRE4X4. I would appreciate any opinions on TRE as I don't know anyone using the brand.
Again, no dealer in the states but all other dealers show they can't sell in the US because it shows the US having a dealer. TRE is looking into this for me. And they offer a front and rear air locker.

Has anyone else found another option or fooled around with this? I started to try and find another IFS member for the rear and maybe swap it with something more common but that got pricy quickly. And the Air locker seems to be the most cost effective way to get a locker.

Thanks in advance
Ken ZUK Francisco gets Harrop lockers in the States ! He set me up with 2 electric Harrop lockers and installed new gears in my Toyota diffs. Toyota Gear Install Harrop

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I have looked into this, it is basically a mechanical locker. Many Russian companies sell a similar locker. I compared it to the GM ran locker G80 that's in the GM trucks. Stays locked until you stop and you have to loose traction again for it to activate. I think it might work or not work with the Suzuki's traction control. The vehicles traction control might work before the diff does causing the diff the ether not lock up or to lock up followed by the brakes being applied by the traction control. Ether way it's a lot of stuff trying to do the same thing. The air locker or E locker gives me a spool style diff that I know will work.
Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
I would agree, air or electric locker rather than mechanical locking would be the best way as they will effectively cause the traction control to ignore that end of the car until both wheels change speed relative to the fronts. TC won't work on the rear with diff locked as it can't sense rotation difference side to side.
Mechanical locked (limited slip) ones as you say, could be beaten to the punch by the TC meaning they could end up not locking when you need them to.

Reactions: Mikebtte

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've been wondering about that. Is it programmed to compare wheels on the same diff or does it also compare front to rear?

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
I've been wondering about that. Is it programmed to compare wheels on the same diff or does it also compare front to rear?
It monitors each wheel and bases its function on slippage of wheels compared to each other. If one slips it applies the brake to that wheel, if the rears are turning at the same rate then there's no slippage between them "across the car", but if a front starts to turn slower or faster, the system will respond.

·
Registered
2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara JB420
80 Posts
I sent an email to the merchant to ask what kind of technology this diff locker uses.
It seems this is a proper clutch based LSD.
They say it can be used front or rear, so I think that means it's a full 2 way diff locking in both directions

Edit: Turgut from 4xFourArt confirmed its a 2 way clutch pack LSD

Their email response
Hello Alex and thank you for your inquiry.

Our SMARTLOCK diff locker is a unique locker that is now considered one of the best on the market.

We use a series of clutches, not plates for the locking system.

It locks gradually depending on the level of traction on the wheel.

Therefore you do not have an immediate locking effect which would make cornering difficult on asphalt.

The final level of lock is close to 100 %.

The driver does not have to apply full throttle to escape obstacles but can do so gradually to minimise risk to the axle.

The SMARTLOCK comes in to full effect off road and most of the time the driver does not even notice the locking effect.

The SMARTLOCK can be used for both fornt and rear differentials.

We thoroughly recommend it for all types of driving.

Regards

Turgut Baris

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
I sent an email to the merchant to ask what kind of technology this diff locker uses.
It seems this is a proper clutch based LSD.
They say it can be used front or rear, so I think that means it's a full 2 way diff locking in both directions

Edit: Turgut from 4xFourArt confirmed its a 2 way clutch pack LSD

Their email response
Ok, that may not lock fully as the traction control may react faster than the diff.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I was reading somewhere (can't recall but I'll find it) they said different front axles need to be used when doing the swap. They said the new shafts were stronger. I'm interested in knowing what they source the new Shafts from.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok, that may not lock fully as the traction control may react faster than the diff.
07 model no T/C, no problem. I'd probably toss that fuse if I had it anyway

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
07 model no T/C, no problem. I'd probably toss that fuse if I had it anyway
I love the t/c, once you understand how it works and how to drive with it I regularly get thru stuff others with lockers don't.

Reactions: Mikebtte

·
Registered
80 Posts
So I bit the bullet and ordered the smartlocker from 4xfourart.
Will update with pics, documentation and commentary later (maybe do a build thread?)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Except its not there in LR. IM glad i had my locker lsst week. Dont know how steep it ws but i bounced the front end a couple of times and thought it was going over backwards....probably wasnt but scared the hell out of me. Slipped and slithered all over the place but could feel those back wheels going hard.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So I bit the bullet and ordered the smartlocker from 4xfourart.
Will update with pics, documentation and commentary later (maybe do a build thread?)
Nice! I got my air system installed and should be installing my Air locker shortly. So long as I can be left alone in the garage long enough to finish the job.
IMG_20201003_201718042.jpg
IMG_20201003_213311956.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice! I got my air system installed and should be installing my Air locker shortly. So long as I can be left alone in the garage long enough to finish the job.
View attachment 98275 View attachment 98276
Oh I like this location.
I'd been wondering where I would install a tank and pump if I were to do one

Are those Falken tyres? I have the same ones

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'd make sure its armoured....

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
I was going to say the same thing. I'd rather mount the tank and pump internal to the car for added protection and ease of access when it does fail.
Id also add an inlet you can connect your tyre compressor to just in case, might get you out of a situation one day if it does fail.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I am building a skid plate that will cover the transfer case and air tank. It will be well protected. The air compressor is also water proof, so water won't effect it. The intake shares the engine air filter.

Id also add an inlet you can connect your tyre compressor to just in case, might get you out of a situation one day if it does fail.
I did mount a air fitting for the tires. Compressor is rated to fill 37" tires and run at 200 psi. I have a pressure switch plumbed in to cycle the relay at 100psi.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am building a skid plate that will cover the transfer case and air tank. It will be well protected. The air compressor is also water proof, so water won't effect it. The intake shares the engine air filter.

I did mount a air fitting for the tires. Compressor is rated to fill 37" tires and run at 200 psi. I have a pressure switch plumbed in to cycle the relay at 100psi.
I'd love to see more details on this I could see myself copying your notes. What model/brand compressor did you use?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts