Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
This brings up a good point. The E locker will unlock a small amount when rolling back ward, and take a set amount of motion to engage. While I don't think it would interfere with the traction control it might make for an interesting scenario.
An air locker would be locked in and would only unlock when told to unlock. Might be a +1 for the air locker over the Elocker.
its about a quarter of a turn. if my soc alled TC is an example it must have spun for over 30 sec and didnt engage. If it ever rains again am planning on giving it a test. and the TC wont engage on the locked wheels anyway according to 2013s advice
as Ive got no error codes the computer obviously thinks its ok.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Try it in a greasy paddock in 4H first, take off hard in a straight line, tc light should flash and you should feel the brakes going on to keep you straight and moving.

Then go 4HL and repeat, will take a lot longer to kick in

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been on the hunt for a while and found some information on lockers.

Old post on the Harrop Locker
Harrop Locker
TRE4x4 TR307 rear locker

Harrop makes a Elocker that I want but can't get in the states. Harrop can't sell in the US because Eaton has claimed the market and are not making this locker in the US. An alternative is to have someone I know buy the locker in AU and ship it to me. An option but I am holding out, I don't like asking people to do this type of stuff for me. Eaton is also looking into this but has been little help.

Second is a locker from TRE4X4. I would appreciate any opinions on TRE as I don't know anyone using the brand.
Again, no dealer in the states but all other dealers show they can't sell in the US because it shows the US having a dealer. TRE is looking into this for me. And they offer a front and rear air locker.

Has anyone else found another option or fooled around with this? I started to try and find another IFS member for the rear and maybe swap it with something more common but that got pricy quickly. And the Air locker seems to be the most cost effective way to get a locker.

Thanks in advance
Mike,

Ken Francisco @ ToyotaGear Installs does Harrop lockers. He’s in Arizona. [email protected]

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I bought the LSD for the 2G. It came from Republic of Russia. They are still shown on their website. We can talked offline at "[email protected]".
Given the traction control system I don't think and LSD would do me much good. Thanks anyhow.

Mike,

Ken Francisco @ ToyotaGear Installs does Harrop lockers. He’s in Arizona. [email protected]
Thank you for the information. I will contact Ken and see what he can do. I was about to order the TRE air locker. Was just piecing together my Air tank/ compressor set up.

I am generally curious as to what a "smart locker" is?
I'll make contact before I jump on the TRE.

Attached is vender info on the smart locker.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara JB420
80 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I suspect the "smartlocker" is probably something along the lines of a Torsen Diff(??)
Also relevant and I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread
A russian made Torsen style diff locker by AVT
I think this is a great idea and I would like to know more about how it compares to an air locker. I think that on mine the traction control would take over faster than the diff would respond and would almost make little to no difference in my application.

oh, also from Russia and worth mentioning
A bizarre ball bearing/screw style LSD design
This idea seems good but I am unsure as to why it would not be available in 4H. I like a locker that I can use whenever I would like.

YouTube Video

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think this is a great idea and I would like to know more about how it compares to an air locker.

View attachment 97258
To my understanding, Torsen diffs aren't true lockers. Whereas an air or e-locker would essentially turn your diff into a switchable spool, the Torsen is more of a torque biasing system. In this case, it biases 80% of the torque to the loaded wheel. So your slipping wheel would still get 100% torque like an open diff but unlike an open diff, the loaded wheel gets enough torque to move the vehicle.

This idea seems good but as it shown in the demo the unit requires the tires to slip to activate. Would likely work great for a Vitara without the traction control system.

View attachment 97259

YouTube Video
The ball bearing LSD seems to fully lock when engaged but that design is so wild to me, I don't know if it can be trusted. for instance, how likely am I to deform those bearings in cases of spirited driving on gravel or tarmac with my heavy 30" tires? (as pictured in my avatar lol)

Reactions: Mikebtte

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I ordered the air locker straight from TRE4X4. Seems the best option for my application. I'll post info about it when it arrives. Should take +/- 8 days to ship.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
I received my TRE 4x4 locker today. After looking it over it is a copy of the ARB other than ARB not officially offering an air locker for the GV. The Diff seems to come with more hardware than the usual scumbags and the manufacturing marks came off with little effort.
The outside is hard 8620 steel, this is often times used for drag racers and if someone likes to jump around and cause wheel hope they could likely shatter the housing. The internal gearing is made with softer 4320 steel gearing but still hard enough gearing on the inside. So long as someone is driving and underpowered Suzuki and not a big V8 or diesel they should not have any issue breaking the differential as it seems better built than the factory set up. I'll get this installed and tested before I order a front locker. Figures crossed nothing goes wrong.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Looks not too bad, full instructions provided? What you using for an air supply?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Looks not too bad, full instructions provided? What you using for an air supply?
No instructions but it's a very straight forward install. No bearings ether so I'll have to find the part number for some quality bearings.
I have a 1 gallon air tank that will be mounted on the P/S next to the transmission. Looks as though Suzuki was going to run exhaust in this area but opted for the D/S.
I have an air compressor but am looking at many options. I also installed a fog light button inthe blank spot and will use that as the air locker switch.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
check max pressure required, its not much on most of the diffs

Reactions: Mikebtte

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
check max pressure required, its not much on most of the diffs
TRE said this was rated at 70-100 PSI. Mich lower than modern lockers that I see rated to 150PSI.
I'll add a pressure regulator inline for security.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is another company call Protrack.gr They make front and rear air lockers for 3G Vitara‘s.Company is located in Greece.I ordered mine for rear with air compresor and price was 1150 $ with shipping.
I also contacted harrop and they contact their vendor in CA and they gave me quote 1500 plus 85 $ shipping.
Cruiserbrothers.com

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
There is another company call Protrack.gr They make front and rear air lockers for 3G Vitara‘s.Company is located in Greece.I ordered mine for rear with air compresor and price was 1150 $ with shipping.
I also contacted harrop and they contact their vendor in CA and they gave me quote 1500 plus 85 $ shipping.
Cruiserbrothers.com
I saw that on YouTube in a video but didn't find them until after I ordered mine. Looks like a more robust version. $820 and can be used in front or rear.
In order to use in the front two additional pinions need purchased.
It is clearly an air locker, that's good. Most of what I found was LSD or something similar.
I am interested to know what they source the pinions from to beef up the front end.

Link to locker

New Grand Vitara 2005 Locker1.png

$1500 is not bad given the quality you get from Harrop. Possibly easier to get warranty work than TRE. Only time will tell.

You have however brought up a good source for Tcase gears. They have reduced gears for the 06+ Vitara.
Now I'm getting excited. Still a little high on $$$ but likely worth while.

Gears link

VitaraGears2.png

·
Registered
80 Posts
21 - 40 of 64 Posts