Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been on the hunt for a while and found some information on lockers.

Old post on the Harrop Locker
Harrop Locker
TRE4x4 TR307 rear locker

Harrop makes a Elocker that I want but can't get in the states. Harrop can't sell in the US because Eaton has claimed the market and are not making this locker in the US. An alternative is to have someone I know buy the locker in AU and ship it to me. An option but I am holding out, I don't like asking people to do this type of stuff for me. Eaton is also looking into this but has been little help.

Second is a locker from TRE4X4. I would appreciate any opinions on TRE as I don't know anyone using the brand.
Again, no dealer in the states but all other dealers show they can't sell in the US because it shows the US having a dealer. TRE is looking into this for me. And they offer a front and rear air locker.

Has anyone else found another option or fooled around with this? I started to try and find another IFS member for the rear and maybe swap it with something more common but that got pricy quickly. And the Air locker seems to be the most cost effective way to get a locker.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
There was a Romanian? Site that was doing a torsen lsd diff for them at one stage but I cant remember where I saw it

Reactions: Mikebtte

·
Registered
273 Posts
well I have an elocker and while I havent used it in anger yet, it works well. I just spoke to my brother who used to be in the business and he said just look up freight forwarders in Melbourne and get a couple of quotes and go from there.
Greg

·
Registered
273 Posts
If it all gets too complicated I'd be prepared to accept it and get a freight forwarder to send it on. Ill check with parcel post to see if they can take it if you like.

Im in canberra which is about 700 k from melb so there would be extra transport charges,
i had mine done professionally because there is some grinding of the housing required but that is all in the instructions which are quite detailed
Greg

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I am fortunate to have the post 2013 facelift model with the better traction control algorithm. I honestly doubt a locker would benefit me much, might get me stuck easier tho. I've been thru some pretty rough stuff with guys in the sheep shaggers and they had lockers. As always, the lack of ground clearance was my biggest issue. Still got thru all the stuff they did by picking my lines.

·
Registered
273 Posts
yes its hard to say. Ive been stuck twice (my so called traction control was useless ) as I often go by myself and dont have a winch, as I had the money decided to spend some on myself :). I also have a double bogout if all else fails.
my car is a nov 13. does it have this revised algorithm?

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
yes its hard to say. Ive been stuck twice (my so called traction control was useless ) as I often go by myself and dont have a winch, as I had the money decided to spend some on myself :). I also have a double bogout if all else fails.
my car is a nov 13. does it have this revised algorithm?
If it's a 2013 or later it does in our market. I very rarely use low range in the auto unless I need the climbing power. 4HL is about as far as I need to go. Biggest secret is not to touch the gas, keep the jandal up it and let it sort itself out. Lifting off when you start to feel it start to spin is the worst thing you can do. 4H it's pretty aggressive in mone 4HL it certainly takes longer to kick in, in 4LL it's almost disabled and you will get a lot of wheelspin before it starts to bite.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks thats good to know. From memory had front left and right rear off ground but cant remember h or l. Think h . Usually only use L for extreme ups and downs. Its great for downs.
I also carry an entrenching tool thank goodness. :)

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I've had mine crossed up like that still drives fine, it takes time to get used to resist the urge to let off the power or tap the brake.

Here's a clip showing how it works, and what happens if you ease off.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's all good information. I always run in low and was under the impression it did not work in 4H. I'll have to give it a test run. Part of the reason I was wanting the locker was because I have to create wheel spin in order for the system to activate. I figured with a rear locker I could assist the process.

I'll look at pricing on freight forwards and see. I can get it through a UK supplier + VAT + freight it get even more expensive. The TRE air locker is $569 shipped. Much cheaper but unsure of the quality.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
That's all good information. I always run in low and was under the impression it did not work in 4H. I'll have to give it a test run. Part of the reason I was wanting the locker was because I have to create wheel spin in order for the system to activate. I figured with a rear locker I could assist the process.

I'll look at pricing on freight forwards and see. I can get it through a UK supplier + VAT + freight it get even more expensive. The TRE air locker is $569 shipped. Much cheaper but unsure of the quality.
It activates fastest in 4H less so in 4HL and slower again in 4LL

You can disable it by selecting 4HL pressing and holding the esp off switch until esp off is displayed then selecting 4LL. this disables esp and traction control in 4LL

You do need wheelspin for it to activate, fitting a locker will effectively disable the traction control on that axle as there will no longer be a difference in wheel speed side to side on that axle, only front to rear.

Your choice whether to keep the existing system, or use a locker.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well if you don't engage the locker U can use both or none. Assume it would still work on front wheels if locker engaged?

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Yep, will if it detects one front wheel starting to spin

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have been on the hunt for a while and found some information on lockers.

Old post on the Harrop Locker
Harrop Locker
TRE4x4 TR307 rear locker

Harrop makes a Elocker that I want but can't get in the states. Harrop can't sell in the US because Eaton has claimed the market and are not making this locker in the US. An alternative is to have someone I know buy the locker in AU and ship it to me. An option but I am holding out, I don't like asking people to do this type of stuff for me. Eaton is also looking into this but has been little help.

Second is a locker from TRE4X4. I would appreciate any opinions on TRE as I don't know anyone using the brand.
Again, no dealer in the states but all other dealers show they can't sell in the US because it shows the US having a dealer. TRE is looking into this for me. And they offer a front and rear air locker.

Has anyone else found another option or fooled around with this? I started to try and find another IFS member for the rear and maybe swap it with something more common but that got pricy quickly. And the Air locker seems to be the most cost effective way to get a locker.

Thanks in advance
Just checked postage costs based on weight of my diff parts which I kept in the original box ( am assuming they'd be similar in weight to Harrops ) and it's abt 8kg which is also the "volume weight" and that came out as <a$100 for courier and <$A50 for basic airfreight.
You can double check that in case I muckedit up 28cm X 28cm x28cm and 7.5kg weight by going to Australia Post on line

·
Registered
273 Posts
PS Ask Harrops for a price delivered to Canberra. They'd have my address on file. Greg Black.

·
Registered
273 Posts
PS they are warning delivery times are disrupted and can't be relied on

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've had mine crossed up like that still drives fine, it takes time to get used to resist the urge to let off the power or tap the brake.

Thanks very interesting . But i am unsure which incident relates to easing off. Can u give approx time in?
Just replaced my torn rear axle boot with the split universal one from pommy land. Really easy. Takes about an hour and only stuck the glove on once. :) Have had one on the front for a couple of years and still working well.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
About 30 seconds in at the start, they had it spinning and the traction control was just starting to work and they buttoned off then added power making it spin worse before it bit.
Rest of the course they did what they should and didnt change throttle and let it sort itself out

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I use the universal stretch fit boots, but I have access to the stretching tool to get them on. At least with the split boots theres no need to remove anything. I've been wary of them, I've seen a lot fail. Glad they are working for you, obviously different manufacturer to the ones we get here, which are rubbish in my opinion

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

This brings up a good point. The E locker will unlock a small amount when rolling back ward, and take a set amount of motion to engage. While I don't think it would interfere with the traction control it might make for an interesting scenario.
An air locker would be locked in and would only unlock when told to unlock. Might be a +1 for the air locker over the Elocker.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts