Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I shift into 3rd gear, it revs high and I lose power, same goes for 4th gear especially if there is any sort of hill situation or uphill gradient. It will only go between 40 - 50 km/hr. Is this a transmission problem? Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Sounds like it isn't going up a gear, but maybe going down?!?
There may be a problem where the shifter meets the shift rails.

Try shifting from 1st to 3rd and see if it seems like the same gear...

·
Super Moderator
17,815 Posts
Sounds like engine performance issues to me. Just not enough "ompf"! ;)

Tune up time? :huh:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like it isn't going up a gear, but maybe going down?!?
There may be a problem where the shifter meets the shift rails.

Try shifting from 1st to 3rd and see if it seems like the same gear...
Hello,
When I shift from 2nd to third, it revs high and it's gutless, almost like I shifted into 4th from 2nd. Just drops in power.
On a flat street, it's not so bad but if there are hills involved, I pull over and wait til all the cars pass before I head back onto the street for some 40 kmh driving. :(

·
Super Moderator
17,815 Posts
Just to clarify...we are NOT talking automatic transmission here, correct? :huh:

IF a manual, and the engine revs and you have no apparent power, then like suggested earlier...it's a slipping clutch issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like engine performance issues to me. Just not enough "ompf"! ;)

Tune up time? :huh:
Shifting is still very smooth and I had a tune up last week.
The gear/clutch/maybe transmission thing just sort of started up this past week. A real loss of power. I've never had any major problems with it in the 25 years I've had it so it's due for something I guess.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just to clarify...we are NOT talking automatic transmission here, correct? :huh:

IF a manual, and the engine revs and you have no power, then like suggested earlier...it's a slipping clutch issue.
Hello, Yes, correct it's a standard transmission.

I will bring it in to a mechanic next week. I used to go to the dealer to get things done but they would find all sorts of new things to have to fix so I stopped. Now if I bring it to a non-dealer mechanic, prices are better but each one diagnoses things differently. Last month I went to get some new tired and the mechanic at the tire shop said my bearings were shot and my tire was wiggling. A different mechanic said the bearings were fine and that the axle joint assembly was screwed.

Thanks for the advice thus far, it's all very helpful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
mechanic wants 1100 bucks for a new clutch, flywheel and labour. Good or bad?
If you cant do it your self , I suppose its alright.
Chance the flywheel needs replacing? my guess would be 0 ,, I have a few laying around ,and they are all good.Even after years of unknown treatment

Not a hard car to work on .No special tools needed .
If you own a few spanners and have a basic understanding of how to use them Be a good 1st project for you , You should save 900$ easy.All the info you could ever need is on the net

This is what makes these little cars greater then the sum of their parts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Save some $$$$

You should save 900$ easy.All the info you could ever need is on the net

This is what makes these little cars greater then the sum of their parts
Agreed. Even with a new flywheel, parts are under $200. With no experience, you could do this in less than a day. With experience, less than 1/2 a day. By the time you do #4, you'll be down to a couple of hours. Despite what the Factory Service Manual says, you don't need to remove the engine, to get the transmission out. There is room to wiggle the transmission out, if you notch the transmission cross member. Do a search and you'll find all the information you need, to save yourself $900 plus.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If your clutch is slipping so bad in 3rd and 4th that it will not accelerate, it should also slip in 1st & 2nd. Pull the the truck right up to a curb after driving around some and everything is warmed up, put it into 1st or 2nd gear. Release the clutch slowly and give it just a little a little gas. If the clutch is slipping that bad, if should slip here. If the engine dies quickly, then you clutch might not be the problem.

Also try starting from a stop in 3rd gear and see what happens, again with everything warmed up. On level or slightly downhill slope, you might be able to get it moving. If it is like starting off in 1st gear, then you have a transmission shifter problem.

If you are not able to do the work yourself, find someone who has worked on a Samurai before rather than going to a regular repair shop, because with a 25 year old vehicle you really need a good friend who knows the Samurai, even if you have to pay him something. Paying for labor and troubleshooting gets very expensive very fast, and they do not add anything to the value of the vehicle at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, I appreciate all the advice. I'm in no position to be able to take the engine and such out myself so have been taking the Samurai to different places. Most people won't even order the parts or look into it for me. So I have been lucky to find some parts online but still need a mechanic to put them in.

Recently found all the knuckle parts but have no idea how much it'll cost to get them replaced. The wheels are wobbling!:mellow:

If your clutch is slipping so bad in 3rd and 4th that it will not accelerate, it should also slip in 1st & 2nd. Pull the the truck right up to a curb after driving around some and everything is warmed up, put it into 1st or 2nd gear. Release the clutch slowly and give it just a little a little gas. If the clutch is slipping that bad, if should slip here. If the engine dies quickly, then you clutch might not be the problem.

Also try starting from a stop in 3rd gear and see what happens, again with everything warmed up. On level or slightly downhill slope, you might be able to get it moving. If it is like starting off in 1st gear, then you have a transmission shifter problem.

If you are not able to do the work yourself, find someone who has worked on a Samurai before rather than going to a regular repair shop, because with a 25 year old vehicle you really need a good friend who knows the Samurai, even if you have to pay him something. Paying for labor and troubleshooting gets very expensive very fast, and they do not add anything to the value of the vehicle at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Recently found all the knuckle parts but have no idea how much it'll cost to get them replaced. The wheels are wobbling!:mellow:
Maybe the wheel bearings,Easy fix .mine were shot when i got it , between that and the spring bushes ,It was just insanity trying to drive .It just Wanted to fly off the road --No idea how the guy who sold i to me got it rego`d like that.

if you Can Jack it up and wobble the wheels manually , that will give you a good idea the bearing are shot or need tightening. some dodgy people out their

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe the wheel bearings,Easy fix .mine were shot when i got it , between that and the spring bushes ,It was just insanity trying to drive .It just Wanted to fly off the road --No idea how the guy who sold i to me got it rego`d like that.

if you Can Jack it up and wobble the wheels manually , that will give you a good idea the bearing are shot or need tightening. some dodgy people out their
Hi, I took it to 3 separate mechanics. One guy said it was the bearings... the other two said it was the knuckle. They both said I shouldn't be driving on the highway let alone the street.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts