Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Geo Tracker 2door, RWD, 3L30 auto.
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly good leak in my tranny. May be coming from shifter shaft seal which was recently replaced. As discussed previously, the deal may be ill fitted due to accessibility issues. I ordered a few new deals which should arrive shortly.
my question is, how many possible sources of leaks are there? I know the dipstick tube may have potential. I tried tracing pipe to tranny and need more time to locate seal/connection precisely. I noticed there is a rubber hose that connects to the transmission directly above the shifter shaft. Hard to tell if this is leaking. Is this transmission fluid? Or does it carry coolant?
I have the factory service manuals for this vehicle. I find it to be the best factory service manual I have ever used. It's a close match between a do it yourself and a technical factory manual. But some of the smaller details for repair, i.e. leaks, are lacking. Although seals connections, etc. May be mentioned there are no replacement instructions.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,757 Posts
The hose on the top is a vacuum supply to activate the modulator valve |( shift points), every seal and/or joint is a potential leak, you should thoroughly clean the case and see where the fluid is seeping..

Reactions: Geo97

·
Super Moderator
15,756 Posts
There are no coolant hoses going to the transmission, the transmission cooler hoses take transmission fluid to the transmission cooler in the bottom tank of the radiator.

Reactions: Geo97

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Is there anything near the top of the transmission that can leak? Something out of view?
I plan on replacing the seal once again. The original seal looks different than the replacement deals that are available. The replacement is a Timken 8792S. The original was deeper, and looked to be all plastic. The new one is shallower and is metal. It looks almost like a small bearing. I do not believe the old/original type is still available. I am tempted to apply a liquid gasket to the new bearing during install.
Also, as I mentioned in previous threads, the nice remover/ installer tools can not be used in my tracker. The shaft and is too close to the frame. There is not enough room to slip the tool over the shaft while clearing the frame. The shaft is the longer type due to the park-neutral switch. If the transmission was out of the vehicle this job would be very simple with the special tools. It if the shaft was slightly lower.
I replaced the same deal on my 94 Isuzu Trooper with the 4L30E ATM, without issue as there was plenty of room to slip the tools over the longer shaft.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,757 Posts
You might try removing the rear transmission mount and let the case rotate down to clear frame..

There is a vent line on top that should not leak any fluid, unless it is over filled or the transmission gets overheated..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the rear transmission mount above the fuel tank?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the rear mount is immediately at the rear of the transmission above the catalytic converter? It appears there are two boots that attack the transmission to the mount. I need about 1/2" to one inch of clrarance. Do you think I could tilt the transmission enough, if I remove the two bolts, or would I have to remove the mount also?
thank you for my elementary questions!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts