Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, had no luck in the search part trying to find this answer but what should i do to my Zuk as far as gearing it "right" for DD highway use with 31"x10.5"x15", i need to be able to hit atleast 70 and hold steady without killing my little 1.3 so i dont get ran over ^_^ i have to downshift currently in 4th to stay above 55 right now soon as i hit 5th it slowly decels unless im on FLAT road or on a decline. I dont do much of any offroading aside from our PA winters and is my main snow vehicle at the moment so not much caring for O.R. gears just highway. I dnt know the whole low range/highrange reduction % "scientific talk" so just a simple gearset i can look up and buy for either the t case or R&P or both. any help please? only engine mods are the 272 cam and weber 32/36 with somewhat open exhaust, current lift is SPOA 4.5", 3"shackles, and 2" body.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Jason

What I did with mine was swop the Samurai or SJ413 TC for a SJ410 TC which has 12% lower gearing in Hi and Lo. This worked perfectly with the 31" tyres for the highway.

You could go with new gears for the TC but this is quite costly IMO, especially if you're not going to use them offroad that much like you mentioned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thnx for that option, didnt even think of that, if i can find 1 before actually needing the gears then ill opt in for 1. thnx

·
Registered
328 Posts
You will probably have a hard time finding anything beside Samurai TCs in the US.

Your 4th gear is now almost the same as 5th gear used to be. I wouldn't even bother putting it in 5th anymore.

Ideally, you'd want to go to 4.57 differential gears to get close to stock gearing back.

Alternatively, you'd want to go with 4.9:1 Gears. This will be much harder on your transfer case, tc mounts, u-joints, and drive-shafts. You will want a heavy duty transfer case cradle if you go this route.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also the 4.57s for the diff, that'll 2x when i order em for both front and rear right, or something else for the front? sorry if its a dumb question, just making sure i get it right once

·
Registered
278 Posts
Reality check:

True cost of each described fix.

While the ring and pinion fix looks good on paper and cheaper. It's not. Labor ain't free.
You will want to rebuild your axles ( If you are smart ) while replacing the ring and pinion.

True cost is :
$189 per end for the gears.
$109 per end for the master re-build kit.
Total:
$596 (excluding labor).
Hope you have an arbor press.......

T-case 4.9:1 gears:
$525
Re build kit:
$80.75
Total:
$605.75 (excluding labor)

Or if you don't have the tools and or expertise to do the gear swap:

Rebuilt t-case with 4.6:1 gears (30" tire recommended ).
$649 ( assuming you have a good core )

The extra load on the T-case / u-joints and drive line after gear swap is negligible at best.

I would recommend an upgraded T-case mount on all Samurais with or without re-gear. ( The stock mounting system is junk )

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea money isnt a problem at the moment since its sitting and only doing joy rides so i can build the cash fairly quick if i dont touch it lol just hoping to do 100% restore on everything (yes i kno itll be expensive at that point), for now i just wanna be able to cruise down the highway with the 31's im getting for a few 4 hour summer trips without killin the motor 1/2 way there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts