Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May as well preface this by letting you know that I already feel like a doofus for not being able to figure these questions out for myself...

I drive a 2006 Forenza with a manual transmission. I cannot find the drain and fill plugs. Any idea where these are? My suspicion based on a weird picture I found is that the fill plug is under the side cover on the driver's side of the trans. But I have no idea where the drain plug is. Is it one of the case bolts or something...? Which one?

Also: what coolant should I use? The coolant that came with the car is blue, believe it or not. Is there some kind of weird special coolant I need? Silicate or non?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I thought the car used that orange coolant myself. In my workings with manual trans it's normally on the outside (side facing away from the motor) and it normally looks wierd like a square inside of a round bolt. It usually takes a 1/2" ratchet, just the ratchet, in the hole to lossen it. I'll check this afternoon when I get home for the exact location and take a pic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The coolant is most definitely blue. It threw me off... I took it around to some places to ask what the heck was up with my blue coolant, and they all told me "nah man, you're crazy... it's gotta be green coolant." But sure enough, when they took a look they all scratched their heads dumbfounded... "it's blue, ain't it?"

As for the trans, yeah... that's the type of drain plug I was looking for. My Subaru has the 1/2" drive bolts for drain plugs, but there is nothing on the Suzuki that looks right.

I hope we can figure this out, I'm getting a little overdue on the trans fluid here... :eek:

·
Registered
223 Posts
kinkyllama said:
I maybe thinking of the a/t but I dont think are tranny needs to have the fluid changed ever. I maybe wrong, sorry I dont know it, I do so much work with mine that I have to change it anyways

I know manual trannys have to be changed every so often, i don't know the exact interval, and i'm pretty sure it can be easily looked up (no time right now), but i have changed it twice on my honda. when i first bought it 2 years ago and about 5 months ago when I changed the timing belt and pulleys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have changed out my share of trans fluids on manuals, but I can't for the life of me find the darn drain plug on this car. I'm considering bravely unbolting the differential cover and letting the juice out that way, but it seems like it'll make a bigger mess than I can handle at home...

·
Registered
363 Posts
zaarin said:
Also: what coolant should I use? The coolant that came with the car is blue, believe it or not. Is there some kind of weird special coolant I need? Silicate or non?
Short answer: you need the traditional green (I used the Wallly brand / low-silicate formula).

Long answer: read this TSB
Cooling System - Correct Coolant Applications
FORENZA
Section Title: General Info
TSB No. TS 01 12086R2 Division: Automotive
Category: Technical SUBJECT:
CORRECT COOLANT USAGE MODEL(S):
FORENZA SEDAN/WAGON, RENO (RQ420) YEAR:
2004- There are three (3) basic types of coolant available in the market today. Ethylene Glycol base Silicate type coolant, Ethylene Glycol base Phosphate type coolant, and Ethylene Glycol base Organic Acid type coolant. The color of the coolant is only a dye added by the coolant manufacturer and does not indicate coolant type or ingredients. The only way to properly identify the type of coolant is to READ THE LABEL.
For the MY 2004-2006 Forenza, the proper coolant to use is the Ethylene Glycol base Silicate type coolant. These vehicles ship from the factory with blue colored coolant. The proper vehicle coolant system mix is 50/50 coolant to water*.
For the MY 2007~ Forenza, the proper coolant to use is the Ethylene Glycol base Organic Acid type coolant. These vehicles were shipped from the factory with Dex-Cool(R) in the cooling system, which is orange in color. The proper vehicle coolant system mix is 50/50 coolant to water*.
*It is strongly recommended that either distilled water is used to mix with concentrated coolant or a "pre-mixed" coolant is used. This is especially important in areas where the tap water has a high concentration of dissolved minerals (Hard Water). An extremely high amount of dissolved minerals may cause the Silicates or Phosphates to drop out of suspension and cause cooling system malfunction (i.e. rapid seal wear, block corrosion, passage way and/or radiator blockage).
CAUTION - DO NOT MIX DIFFERENT TYPES OF COOLANTS. MIXING DIFFERENT COOLANTS MAY RESULT IN ACCELERATED SEAL WEAR AND/OR THE POSSIBILITY OF SEVERE OVERHEATING AND EXTENSIVE ENGINE/AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DAMAGE.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet, thanks Mario. That's the answer I was looking for. No word on the ol' trans though, eh??

·
Registered
363 Posts
zaarin said:
No word on the ol' trans though, eh??
See the Lacetti Service man at: Daewoo Service Manual

Disregard the 1.8L engine size, as you're looking at the same car otherwise.

I can't confirm since I drive an automatic, but you need to remove the differiential cover to let out the oil, then fill via an access plug on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, yeah... that's the exact same thing I got from AllData, the pics and words are verbatim. heheh Unfortunately, they don't show you which part of the trans you need to remove to get to the parts shown in the pictures, although I have a pretty good idea. Kinda sucks they don't have a way to drain the fluid other than just pulling the cover off and letting the oil go all over... Oh well, I guess!

Thanks for the link to the manual though, that's handy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts